Home owner morgage interest rates-HELP!

helenandneil

Can anyone let me know what the current rates are on Mortgages. I know there will differ from place to place but just an estimate.

We are currently looking at Aus houses with the view to moving over in the near future. We have been looking at the ever popular Realestate.com.au

When we look at the margate calculator section of the site it defaults to 5.88 % - Why is this?? Is this the current rate?!? it seems pretty high if so!?

Any info or advise appreciated :):cute:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The first thing I would say is that I would recommend you rent for at least 6 months and probably 12 while you get to know the areas. It is impossible to do that before you get there. For example, when we moved to Perth we were certain we had narrowed it down to two areas. When we arrived, we realised that of all the suburbs, these were the two we liked least. It can also take a while to realise which areas are good and which you wouldn't want to live in.

You can anticipate being able to negotiate at least 0.7% off the standard rate, more if you have a large mortgage, or more than one property. I currently get 4.00% through ANZ on a packaged variable, and 3.75% on fixed rate investor. Smaller banks and building societies you can do better through - Newcastle Permanent recently was advertising 3.60%

As Tulip mentioned, interest rates are higher in Oz than the UK. Check out some of the main bank websites to get a feel, Commonwealth, ANZ, NAB. Search google for brokers to get an idea of the rates they offer.

One thing to note, tracker mortgages are not really offered in Oz. I think banks will do them, but best to ask them.