Good areas of Manchester

movingback

You'd probably find it's much the same, based on government statistics (which I'm sure are about as reliable as Southern Trains) crime is on par in both countries, some statistics show Australia as slightly less, others show the UK in a better light. I don't think drug and gang crime is increased.

I was actually referring to Manchester in comparison to other more desirable parts of the UK... Northern UK cities and towns are pretty uninspiring places at the best of times.

I have to admit, I don't know Manchester that well as haven't been since we returned last year. But, generally, I prefer the North. We were living in what is often regarded as one of the most desirable places in the UK - Windsor. Which, while it is very nice, I far prefer where we are now with Glasgow my nearest city followed by Edinburgh. I prefer the people of the north and the countryside and even the weather.

I would have to disagree with the weather, although East is dryer. I agree that Northern cities and towns are wonderful. The Victorian industrialists left some beautiful buildings now complimented with some great modern architecture in some areas. The surrounding countryside is the icing on the cake. Don't get me started on northerners v southerners though.

A Lancashire lass now living in the Adelaide hills. ( in a place not dissimilar to Ramsbottom but not a damp!)

I appreciate all the suggestions. I spent a few month back there 2 years ago (in October/November) so hopefully have a recent reminder of how the cold/grey/damp weather is before making the leap! I actually really enjoyed bundling up, crisp morning etc. I'm sure the novelty will wear off somewhat but so has the hot burning never ending humid Sydney summer days..I'll look in to Bury. Hadn't really considered it as it seems too far out but looks like its on the tram line. What is Ashton under Lyne like? I still can't get past Monton as well - may have to stretch the budget a bit and look at this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57793810.html

I would have to disagree with the weather, although East is dryer. I agree that Northern cities and towns are wonderful. The Victorian industrialists left some beautiful buildings now complimented with some great modern architecture in some areas. The surrounding countryside is the icing on the cake. Don't get me started on northerners v southerners though.

A Lancashire lass now living in the Adelaide hills. ( in a place not dissimilar to Ramsbottom but not a damp!)

Agree about the northern cities and towns - some lovely buildings. Of course some of them have very depressed areas and unfortunately they always get the media attention. The countryside is glorious and my good friends are all northerners. The only time the weather bothered me was in mid-winter.

I'm also another northerner. Wouldn't consider moving back to the UK to live in the south - partly due to family reasons, but also cost and general feel. I have a friend from North Yorkshire who just finished a 3 month assignment working as a doctor in London. He hated it and said never again. Found the people rude, disrespectful and distracted by their busy lives. Couldn't wait to get on the train back to the north. No offence meant to anyone - to each their own.

You'd probably find it's much the same, based on government statistics (which I'm sure are about as reliable as Southern Trains) crime is on par in both countries, some statistics show Australia as slightly less, others show the UK in a better light. I don't think drug and gang crime is increased.

I was actually referring to Manchester in comparison to other more desirable parts of the UK... Northern UK cities and towns are pretty uninspiring places at the best of times.

Northern cities are uninspiring? You don't know what you're talking about. Sorry.

I'm looking at moving back to the Manchester area this year (or, less likely, Leeds). Currently researching areas to buy. I'm an early 30s single male. Enjoy city life but also enjoy getting out in to the country for bike rides etc. Would prefer a small house with back garden but would also be ok with unit with if in a good area and access to outside space. Budget would be about 200,000 pounds. Chorlton/Didsbury look to be out of my price range. I like Monton, but again, a house looks to be out of my price range. Any advice on areas from people who have lived in the area recently?

Asked a mate in the pub last night ,who is living up there .

He said " there isn't any nice areas " ...he said its a shithole ...his words not mine

He said " there isn't any nice areas " ...he said its a shithole ...his words not mine

Having worked around the area area a few times your mates reply was my thoughts unless you have the funds to live in the premiership footballers areas of Hales Barn , Altringham, Alderley edge .

my wife treated a patient in moss side a few years back she was terrified of going there

Well as I said above I've recently spent 2 months in Manchester and didn't find it to be a shithole. Theres some lovely areas, as with any big city. Didsbury, Chorlton, Monton etc etc. Just need to find the right/affordable area. For me, at this point in time, its a better place to live than Sydney.

Having worked around the area area a few times your mates reply was my thoughts unless you have the funds to live in the premiership footballers areas of Hales Barn , Altringham, Alderley edge .

my wife treated a patient in moss side a few years back she was terrified of going there

I have worked in those parts of Cheshire as well ....they are world away .

The comments about Manchester aren't mine .

A mate of mine said Solihull was an absolute s**thole? Is it...I thought it was a nice place to live?

...i think your mate was on drugs ...saying that ,one of the roughest areas in the country ,chelmsley wood ,is in Solihull.

Solihull town centre is nice ,great schools ....20 mins to the airport ...10 mins to the motorway ...great train links ...the nec for concerts ...great food and pubs ....very lucky really .