Good areas of Manchester

movingback

I'm looking at moving back to the Manchester area this year (or, less likely, Leeds). Currently researching areas to buy. I'm an early 30s single male. Enjoy city life but also enjoy getting out in to the country for bike rides etc. Would prefer a small house with back garden but would also be ok with unit with if in a good area and access to outside space. Budget would be about 200,000 pounds. Chorlton/Didsbury look to be out of my price range. I like Monton, but again, a house looks to be out of my price range. Any advice on areas from people who have lived in the area recently?

Hi. We lived near Monton. Monton is great, nice cafes bars and restaurants.If you can't afford it, Swinton is a good option, look at Broadoak Park and Hazlehurst. You could get a house there for your price range and be able to walk to Monton. Make sure you look at the Worsley side of the East Lancs as the house prices retain value there due to a good school catchment area. My sister used to live in Levenshulme and whilst it's very bustling, I'm not sure it's the best option. Didsbury and Chorlton are good but expensive, if you are looking at Burnage, try Withington too as I believe that's up and coming. Also, Prestwich is a good option. Let me know if you need any further info. I normally post on Perth Poms but hubby and I both grew up in Manchester and know the areas pretty well. We also had a trip back to,Manchester for Xmas so were able to re acquaint ourselves with it!

can't help with areas of Manc and a slight tangent but :wink:

we spent 3 months in the Lake District (Kendal) last UK summer and I couldn't believe the amount of folk from Manchester who had sold up and moved up there. Generally moved for the lifestyle and all absolutely loved it, as we did.

For the OP, early 30s and single possibly too early to be thinking about such a move but worth considering at some point down the line

Edited by Johnny Kash

We lived in Ramsbottom and commuted to Manchester. Good restaurants, community and I loved walking in the woods and on the moors. Hubby had plenty of choices for bike riding, but being in a valley plenty of hills.

I now live in Hahndorf in the Adelaide hills not dissimilar really but less damp.

can't help with areas of Manc and a slight tangent but :wink:

we spent 3 months in the Lake District (Kendal) last UK summer and I couldn't believe the amount of folk from Manchester who had sold up and moved up there. Generally moved for the lifestyle and all absolutely loved it, as we did.

For the OP, early 30s and single possibly too early to be thinking about such a move but worth considering at some point down the line

Funnily enough my OH's family moved out of Liverpool to Kendal - a great place to raise a family for sure but not a great place to be a teenager/young adult, he got out as soon as he could.

Times change though and strangely we are heading to Kendal for a music festival this summer - so maybe it's different to the place I visited 25 years ago!

Altringham?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice but very expensive and strictly speaking not Manchester. For your budget you'd be looking at either a terraced house or an apartment - I have to say this does look nice - http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/42772643?search_identifier=75d08e119b15cbe8c8c17e4bc47008a6#zYoIdDgMwgUjJPSc.97

I have a friend that lives in Stretford - I've not been but she is very happy there and there always seems to be a lot going on. I would think that would fit your lifestyle and budget.

Something like this maybe? http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/42902617?search_identifier=ba167d7cdda3f7bfb0f7fcf16fe49bee

Nice but very expensive and strictly speaking not Manchester. For your budget you'd be looking at either a terraced house or an apartment - I have to say this does look nice - http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/42772643?search_identifier=75d08e119b15cbe8c8c17e4bc47008a6#zYoIdDgMwgUjJPSc.97

I have a friend that lives in Stretford - I've not been but she is very happy there and there always seems to be a lot going on. I would think that would fit your lifestyle and budget.

Something like this maybe? http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/42902617?search_identifier=ba167d7cdda3f7bfb0f7fcf16fe49bee

Well know but he would still be in the tram line into Manchester but not central....was thinking somewhere not "red brick terrace houses".

Good luck Manchester is a great place to live, and that's coming from a scouser! (I could be shot for such careless talk)

Manchester like all major urban areas has some serious issues....BUT ,in my opinion it is the unofficial 2nd city ..not Birmingham ...the bbc have moved there ...and loads has been spent on infrastructure...unlike brum that is now lagging behind

Well know but he would still be in the tram line into Manchester but not central....was thinking somewhere not "red brick terrace houses".

Good luck Manchester is a great place to live, and that's coming from a scouser! (I could be shot for such careless talk)

:biglaugh:

I'd live in Manchester but I'd have to get divorced first!

Funnily enough my OH's family moved out of Liverpool to Kendal - a great place to raise a family for sure but not a great place to be a teenager/young adult, he got out as soon as he could.

Times change though and strangely we are heading to Kendal for a music festival this summer - so maybe it's different to the place I visited 25 years ago!

Would that be Kendal Calling? Great Festival, family friendly - which kind of ties in with what you say about that area.

I agree, for young bucks its probably too quiet but there is a thriving arts scene with the Brewery Arts Centre etc. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how it stacks up now. Still only a short hop to Manc/Liverpool and Edinburgh as well for city life. We've discussed moving back and its on the shortlist along with Edinburgh.

There are as many rough / bad areas in any major Oz city as there are in Manchester- except the Oz ones have higher drug / gang crime.

You'd probably find it's much the same, based on government statistics (which I'm sure are about as reliable as Southern Trains) crime is on par in both countries, some statistics show Australia as slightly less, others show the UK in a better light. I don't think drug and gang crime is increased.

I was actually referring to Manchester in comparison to other more desirable parts of the UK... Northern UK cities and towns are pretty uninspiring places at the best of times.