Occupational therapy and ahpra

Elled102

Hi,

just arrived in melbourne about a month ago and since I have been rejected for several jobs due to requiring supervised practice. I have almost three years experience as an OT in the UK, wondering if anyone in the same boat or have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Ellen :wink:

Hi Ellen

If you have a search through previous posts (just search 'occupational therapy'), there are many over the last few years about the difficulty that overseas OT's have getting work. I've followed it myself as we've been through the visa process and more recently emigration process.

Its a bit of a catch 22 situation - you need to be registered to get a job and you need a job to get registered!!

As far as I can tell the situation is hard, if you look for mainstream OT work ie in hospitals, nursing homes etc (what I would call green trouser work!!). Hard but not impossible, and there are OT's on here who've persevered and been successful with the more mainstream jobs. What is your clinical experience? Is it mainly physical? Mental health?

In my opinion the area where you are most likely to land a job is in the Occupational Rehab market. It's steep learning curve for sure if you've no experience in this area (some OT's dabble in the private sector in the UK) but doable for any experienced OT. You'd likely be working for a private rehab company, providing return to work services under WorkCover or similar insurance schemes, assessing peoples abilities to return or remain in work and advising on modified or alternative work duties, dealing with insurance companies, report writing etc. Its something that not many british OT's are experienced in - but definitely have the underlying skills. It's very 'hands off' work and very business orientated.

I live on the central coast in NSW (moved over last November). I do have a lot of UK experience and also with the Vocational/ Insurance side of work in the UK. I think I was in the right place at the right time, but landed a job as soon as I started looking in November and started the job three weeks ago with a company who are more than happy to supervise me through limited registration. I have a great supervisor and manager.I'm doing things now that I really enjoy but never dreamed for one minute I'd do as an OT (drug and alcohol testing, hearing and vision tests - all for pre-employment screening assessments).

If you want to pm me I am happy to look at your CV, and guide you in the right direction. I had help from a fellow OT on this site who did the same for me. Look on seek.com.au and search for 'Rehabilitation Consultant or 'rehab consultant', and that will give you an idea of what the job entails.

Kind regards

Becks

• Like 1

Hi Ellen

If you have a search through previous posts (just search 'occupational therapy'), there are many over the last few years about the difficulty that overseas OT's have getting work. I've followed it myself as we've been through the visa process and more recently emigration process.

Its a bit of a catch 22 situation - you need to be registered to get a job and you need a job to get registered!!

As far as I can tell the situation is hard, if you look for mainstream OT work ie in hospitals, nursing homes etc (what I would call green trouser work!!). Hard but not impossible, and there are OT's on here who've persevered and been successful with the more mainstream jobs. What is your clinical experience? Is it mainly physical? Mental health?

In my opinion the area where you are most likely to land a job is in the Occupational Rehab market. It's steep learning curve for sure if you've no experience in this area (some OT's dabble in the private sector in the UK) but doable for any experienced OT. You'd likely be working for a private rehab company, providing return to work services under WorkCover or similar insurance schemes, assessing peoples abilities to return or remain in work and advising on modified or alternative work duties, dealing with insurance companies, report writing etc. Its something that not many british OT's are experienced in - but definitely have the underlying skills. It's very 'hands off' work and very business orientated.

I live on the central coast in NSW (moved over last November). I do have a lot of UK experience and also with the Vocational/ Insurance side of work in the UK. I think I was in the right place at the right time, but landed a job as soon as I started looking in November and started the job three weeks ago with a company who are more than happy to supervise me through limited registration. I have a great supervisor and manager.I'm doing things now that I really enjoy but never dreamed for one minute I'd do as an OT (drug and alcohol testing, hearing and vision tests - all for pre-employment screening assessments).

If you want to pm me I am happy to look at your CV, and guide you in the right direction. I had help from a fellow OT on this site who did the same for me. Look on seek.com.au and search for 'Rehabilitation Consultant or 'rehab consultant', and that will give you an idea of what the job entails.

Kind regards

Becks

PM sent-thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/15/2017 at 03:03, Rhian01 said:

hi girls any luck with getting a supervised position? are things any better by these days? 

I, too would like to know what the outlook is these days as I'll be moving in Melbourne and will be working on my registration once I get there whilst I study.

16 minutes ago, Cvills said:

I, too would like to know what the outlook is these days as I'll be moving in Melbourne and will be working on my registration once I get there whilst I study.

In addition to this, I'm a graduate of a WFOT accredited program but with the registration rules for APHRA, i decided to just apply for another OT degree in AUS and got an offer at ACU. Sadly, they wanted me to do the whole four years and won't credit my WFOT program, strangely.
I'm currently deciding if I'm going to risk re-taking 4 years of OT in ACU, melbourne again or go through with the APHRA registration. Keep in mind that I am a fresh graduate with out work experience but with a 1,700 clinical experience for all settings.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

It seems things are getting a bit easier. I emigrated 15 months ago and live on the Central Coast, North of Sydney. I've had no problems getting a jobas soon as I tried, and am nearing the end of my supervised practice, I hope!! I guess it makes a difference that I live in an area where there is a shortage of OT's, but the roll out of the NDIS has created lots of opportunities (although it's an absolute nightmare of a system to work in). If you're a paediatric OT or have experience in equipment and home adaptations/ modifications, then there's lots of scope with NDIS.

I don't know about Melbourne, and I imagine Sydney City would have less opportunities, but if you're prepared to work somewhere out of the cities then chances are good.

I had an agency ring me a few months ago asking if I wanted work, they said things had changed as there is a shortage of experienced OT's so employers are more open to the supervised practice bit. To be honest the supervised practice hasn't been a big deal, just gotta go through the motions, but it hasn't stopped me doing the job of an OT at all.

I really wouldn't spend more time studying if you've already got a degree Cvills! Speak to a few agencies, make some contacts via seek.com.au  and I'm sure you'll get a post. The company I work for are recruiting for paediatric OT's and would consider the supervised practice route, as they did for me. When I was approaching managers in early 2017 about possible positions, I was upfront about what was involved with the supervised practice, sent them examples of what the paperwork looks like, and stated that I would oversee it all (which I do), and I was offered every job I applied for, so had a choice in the end (which was nice!!).

If I can answer any specific questions or you need more info feel free to pm me. I am happy to offer advise on CV's if you need.

Good luck!