Schooling and fees?

ScottishMatilda

Is anyone in the position to give some information with regard to school fees?

My understanding was that there are good state schools (non-fee paying) and private (fee-paying) schools and that you can make a choice as to where your children go on that basis. I may be totally wrong and would love to hear some comprehensive info about this as we will have three children to put through school should we be granted our skilled visa.

Thanks

Well it depends where you are intending to settle. Most schools have a website so details are easy to find. Even public schools are not 'free'. There are various admin fees to pay, books and equipment to buy, expensive uniforms, iPads etc etc.

Details of kids ages would also help. Then people can give you an idea for that area from experience.

• Like 1

Its as Rammygirl said. State schools have school fees which covers the cost of your child's materials, books etc. There is a state set amount (IIRC here in SA for primary its something like $290) per year but schools can charge a bit more than this so long as its agreed/approved. Our primary school charges $400 per year. The first primary school our son went to here charged the regular amount. It was noticeable in the facilities, materials etc between the schools. Our present school has far more but then it has the extra budget per child to pay for these things. Parents seem happy to pay it as the increase is approved by parents. Previous school, it was never even mooted as being increased. I guess different areas and other factors all come in to play.

High school will cost more again, plus the cost of a lap top.

Uniforms can be pricey here as many schools don't allow plain polo tops or sweaters but expect kids to wear the school logo ones. Also shorts for kids are nothing like the UK style so buying a heap and stocking up before you move doesn't really work. Same with cardis, dresses etc. I make use of the second hand shop and thankfully shorts don't have to have the school logo so I stock up in Target with Stubbies ones and they last a couple of years before being outgrown. Plus everything goes up in 2 year sizes, so 4,6,8,10,12 etc. Son has stuff a bit baggy/loose to begin with and its fine. In the heat you don't mind looser clothing.

If you opt for private then its the expected school fees (in the thousands to tens of thousands), plus I'd expect to be throwing about $1,000 at uniform etc to kit a child out (blazer, shirts, jumpers, skirts/shorts just for starters) as its not only the uniform but all the extra sports kits, bags, shoes (black, flat, enclosed), plus other materials and anything else you might need.

What area are you moving to and how old are your kids?

Edited by Guest
eta

Your choice may be constrained by where you live. Government schools have catchment areas and if you live within a catchment area the school is obliged to enrol your child. There are out of area enrolments but they are at the discretion of the school and in some places out of area enrolments are not allowed by the Education office. Cost wise, there is a "voluntary" donation that there is a moral obligation to pay - varies from school to school plus uniforms, supplies, visiting teachers, excursions, extra lessons etc

Private schools can cost anywhere between $4k and $40kpa and they are not obliged to take you if they don't like you. Most are religious schools so if you aren't Catholic for example and there are enough Catholic kids to fill the places you would be prioritised down the list. Some private schools have waiting lists with kids' names put down at conception and you have buckleys of getting them in after that.

All depends on where you are going and if you are permanent residents.

Edited by Quoll

Your choice may be constrained by where you live. Government schools have catchment areas and if you live within a catchment area the school is obliged to enrol your child. There are out of area enrolments but they are at the discretion of the school and in some places out of area enrolments are not allowed by the Education office. Cost wise, there is a "voluntary" donation that there is a moral obligation to pay - varies from school to school plus uniforms, supplies, visiting teachers, excursions, extra lessons etc

Private schools can cost anywhere between $4k and $40kpa and they are not obliged to take you if they don't like you. Most are religious schools so if you aren't Catholic for example and there are enough Catholic kids to fill the places you would be prioritised down the list. Some private schools have waiting lists with kids' names put down at conception and you have buckleys of getting them in after that.

I'm loving you still saying "Buckley's" Quoll. Do people look at you strangely when it pops out in the UK?

In SA the contribution is legally recoverable, so nothing voluntary about it and a bit more than a moral obligation to pay it. It is possible to negotiate instalments and low income earners can get a school card and pay reduced fees, but you have to be on a really low income to get a school card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't discount private on cost, some can work out very similar - our son's was under $1000 a term, that included all materials, excursions and there was no uniform.

There was was an optional $200 a year building contribution (introduced to avoid putting fees up and was per family not per child) & fees were kept low with parents expected to help out but I loved that part of being part of a community.

Will depend where you settle as to what you pay. My daughter is Yr 8 at a public high school (called a community college over here) and i paid her yearly fee's today , all in it was $220.

The local Christian private school is quite popular and IMO isnt that expensive fee wise ,yearly fee's last i heard where around $4000 so not too bad for a private school. However their uniform costs double the public school ,you even have to buy the hat at just over $80 if in the upper years of the school !!

Cal x

I'm loving you still saying "Buckley's" Quoll. Do people look at you strangely when it pops out in the UK?

Oh yeah, I have a few things that pop out and people look blank! Mind you, nothing prepared me for the day my English friend asked me to help with her "rooter" - I couldn't stop laughing for some time! I won't be saying that when I return to Aus though:-)

Oh yeah, I have a few things that pop out and people look blank! Mind you, nothing prepared me for the day my English friend asked me to help with her "rooter" - I couldn't stop laughing for some time! I won't be saying that when I return to Aus though:-)

Like button!

Haha! I went into Harvey Norman not long after we'd arrived here and asked if someone could help me find a 'rooter'!

I was listening to our girls talking in the back of the car whilst I was driving earlier. Youngest is completely Aussie. She wears paaaaants, she daaaaances, and she eats yo-gurt. Eldest, on the other hand, has the vocabulary and prose of a 16th Century poet, with a tinge of both Aussie accent and also modern colloquialisms.

• 2 weeks later...

We paid $600 this year for eldest in state primary (grade 5). As we'll need to make a decision for high school for him in the next couple of years I've looked at the local catholic high school and fees are $3k per annum including laptop. The other private school (Anglican grammar) is closer to $7k. State high fees I'm not sure of as not checked there yet (my preference is the catholic school in any case)

We're in regional Victoria.

Edited to add. The primary fees we pay include all excursions including a Grampians camp this year. Only things to buy separately are uniforms (polo shirt and shorts so not too expensive) and iPad which they get cheaper and you can pay over a period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by saz71

• 2 months later...
On 10/02/2017 at 2:34 PM, ScottishMatilda said:

Is anyone in the position to give some information with regard to school fees?

My understanding was that there are good state schools (non-fee paying) and private (fee-paying) schools and that you can make a choice as to where your children go on that basis. I may be totally wrong and would love to hear some comprehensive info about this as we will have three children to put through school should we be granted our skilled visa.

Thanks

Also where I live we have schools that are half and half yup they are kinda like a cheaper private school as they get government funding.

My son schooling was cheaper in Sydney than it was in Victoria.  He went public but the last couple years are very expensive compared the the UK

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M1sery said:

Also where I live we have schools that are half and half yup they are kinda like a cheaper private school as they get government funding.

All  "private"  schools  in Australia receive government funding.  

There are 2 large private schools nearby.  One costs $30,000 p.annum, the other about $14,000.  They get the same results as regards number of people getting into uni, scores etc. Both have large playing fields,modern buildings and good equipment.  Both have excellent reputations. Go figure.  Like buying a car, it pays to look around a lot and check comparison sites etc. In Melbourne there is a bit of snobbery attached to which school you went to- quite subtle but most definitely there.

Haha! I went into Harvey Norman not long after we'd arrived here and asked if someone could help me find a 'rooter'!

One of my mates here was telling me about her "rooter" one day and couldn't understand why I was in paroxysms of laughter!