Australian newspapers and their political leaning

ABG

If everything goes to plan, the family and I will be making the big move in September so I want to start getting my head into Australian current affairs. I was hoping for some input on on what are the major news outlets, which are broadsheet/tabloid, and their political leaning is (E.g. The Guardian = broadsheet, centre-left; The Sun = tabloid, right wing). If newspapers tend to be State by State then what are the options for Victoria? Finally, do any of them have an app that if head and shoulders above the others or are they all much the same?

I tend to stick to ABC or BBC Asia and Australia tbh. Even ABC isn't great but it beats most of the others.

News on TV here is weird. Nightly news has ads promoting it on the station alongside Home And Away or some such. It's often pretty poor to watch IMHO.

The Age is very left- a lot more so than it previously was. Attacks the government at every opportunity whereas the opposition can do no wrong ( even with slimy Shorten in charge). The Australian tends to be right wing but is more balanced, The Sun is fairly right wing ( takes about 5 mins to read but good for births and obits!!) That's about it apart from the local papers which are free and mostly housing ads and very local sporting things etc.

The Australian, The Australian Financial Review - national, right, broadsheet

The Guardian - national, left, broadsheet

The Age - local (Melbourne), left, tabloid (but higher brow)

Sydney Morning Herald - local, historically right but has endorsed labor more recently, tabloid (high brow)

Brisbane Times - local, online only, shares a lot of content with SMH

Courier Mail - local, right, low brow tabloid

The Guardian and ABC are good apps. I tend to get the others on desktop so couldn't tell you.

Newspapers are state by state but they are mostly run by two organisations - News Corp (Murdoch) which is as you would expect from Murdoch. It runs the national broadsheet The Australian (centre right), plus the "local" tabloids (telegraph in NSW, Herald Sun in Vic, Courier Mail in qld etc) that are very Sun-ish

Fairfax is the other big outfit, tends to be centre/centre left, the individual brands vary a bit more because they get different people to write their Op Eds in different states. They do the Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, Brisbane Times etc

Most of the local (as opposed to state wide) papers don't do much politics, but they're mostly newscorp as well. Newscorp also owns news.com.au and on the telly foxtel and sky news

Online you also have the ABC, also of course on TV

The commercial TV and radio scene is a bit more fragmented with numerous players. Here in NSW we have some repellent "shock jocks" and I believe the same ilk of jerk exists in Vic

Edited by northshorepom

Despite the hammering from successive governments, the ABC remains the most objective news source in Australia. BUT it has nowhere near the funding (especially because of right wing government reduction in funds) of the BBC and that is reflected in the speed of their ability to respond to breaking stories. That being said it is still better than most. You will find however a much less interrogative approach to political enquiry than the BBC. Almost sycophantic at times. There are several reasons for this, which are probably beyond the scope of this discussion.

Most of the commercial news media lean to the right, with a marked tabloid format, ie. Daily Mail and worse.

The Australian newspaper is markedly right of centre, also.

The Fairfax press, ie. The Age and Sydney Morning Herald are slightly left of centre, but certainly not left wing compared to world print media. They balance The Australian to some degree.

Overall international coverage by all outlets in Australia is poor compared to the BBC and ITV.

I personally read ABC news website, BBC News website for international news, and The Guardian Australia plus UK websites. I listen to Radio National, ABC News Radio, and BBC Radio 4 / BBC World Service online. I don't bother with televised news programs generally.

I would be the first to admit that I am very left of centre in my politics, in a country that generally leans to the markedly to the right, and in my opinion is charging further right at pace.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Edited by ChrisH1
Correction of grammar.