Can I receive Positive asmt from Aistl with Professional Graduate Certificate of Education(L6)

chimwarac

Hello,

I am a secondary school Maths teacher in UK and desperatly want to migraye to Aussie. I have Bsc Maths and Economics(Major/Minor) after 3yrs full time and went on to do PGCE in Mathematics 1 yr full time. Mine is a professional (122 credits) not postgraduate. The difference being the 60 credits the postgraduate carries. I have more than 100 days supervised teaching. My worry is that the professional pgce is classified as level 6 and when i was reading the aitsl qualification they seem to be saying the equivalent of L7 Aussie qualification. Has anybody receive a positive assessment with the same level of qualifications?

Thanx in advance for your assistance

Hi,

I am a secondary school history teacher who also has a ProfGCE. My skills assessment was submitted 5 weeks ago, so half way through a very anxious wait! Your concern was one of my biggest concerns, hence why I have gone through a MIRA approved migration agent. They have told me that the ProfGCE UK Level 6 is the equivalent of a Level 7 on the Aussie academic framework. I have 98 days supervised teaching.

I would be very interested to see if anyone else recieved a positive assessment with a ProfGCE.

Did you do your ProfGCE through SCITT or directly through a university? Mine was through a SCITT; however, my qualification was accredited by the University of Brighton.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Joeh99,

I submitted mine a week ago and i didn't use a MIRA.I was getting so worried because its been my dream to migrate. My ProfGCE was directly through Keele University. I was about to loose hope. Lets hope and pray all goes well. Please keep me posted.

Regards

As long as you have submitted exactly what the AITSL have requested. My accrediting uni were fantasic - they provided me with a very detailed confirmation of supervised teaching. Having spent two years on a WHV in Australia from 2009-2011, I fell in love with the country. I actually returned to the UK, done a history degree and PGCE in order to simply return to Australia permantly.

It wasn't until I started the visa process that I found out that my PGCE was a ProfGCE - I was livid with my SCITT provider, as they had never mentioned this to me. Anyhow, it does seem that the Level 6 ProfGCE equates to a Level 7 on the Aussie academic framework.

Good luck! I will let you know as and when - I honestly don't know what I will do if its rejected. I really would love to find out if anyone else with the ProfGCE, attained via SCITT but accredited by a university has been successful.

Thanx, I am hoping there is someone out there who has successfully gone through the assessment process with a ProfGCE and put us out of our misery. It will be very comforting to know that its just a matter of time rather than the validity of our qualification.

Absolutely! I have trolled many forums; however, I have found nothing. I have however found a couple of posts saying that they were refused due to it being a ProfGCE but this was back in 2012. All I know is that I have met all the requirements the AITSL ask for (45+ days of supervised teaching confirmation on uni letter head paper, PGCE and transcript from UK university).

Same here,to say I would be gutted is an understatement. When you look at the requirements there is nothing to suggest that we will be unsuccessful. Most of my family are now living in Perth. My little ones will be devastated as they are very keen to join their nephews and nieces down under and i was very confident that I meet the criteria until yesterday when doubt started to creep in.

To be honest , I am more than 80% convinced that we will get a positive assessment. I have gone over the requirements countless of times now and there is nothing to suggest otherwise. Having said that, i tried looking at other visa options and most of them involve a skill assessment as part of the requirements apart from 1 or 2 that you have to get an organisation to sponsor you which might prove difficult as i am sure very schools are prepared to do all that when they can put an advert out and will get a lot of responses.

A few more weeks for and the wait will be over. The good thing is they haven't asked for anything which is good that means you have provided all the information.

I didn't send a separate letter detailing my supervised teaching as my transcript seemed to state all the required info from days i taught and the age groups. It seems everybody has sent a separate document from their universities and I am going to do so to cover all angles and give them no excuse whatsoever

We just need to put it to the back of our minds! It does seem that they do require a seperate confirmation of supervised teaching confirmation. So they might request this, even though it does say on your transcript.

I would certainly chase this up from your uni, just so you are 1 step ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

My migration agent contacted me today to say AITSL have been in contact and my assessment has been completed! That means it took 6 weeks and 2 days from acknowledgement of recieving documents. I now have to wait two weeks for it to arrive by post! So so anxious!

Possibly of interest:

[TABLE=width: 90%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)

[/TD]

[TD]U.K. Qualification Level (NVQ & GNVQ)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Certificate I

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Certificate II

[/TD]

[TD]NVQ 1/GNVQ Foundation

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Certificate III

[/TD]

[TD]NVQ 2/GNVQ Intermediate

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Certificate IV

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Diploma

[/TD]

[TD]NVQ 3/Higher National Cerificate

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Advanced Diploma

[/TD]

[TD]NVQ 4/Higher National Diploma

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Bachelor Degree

[/TD]

[TD]Equivalent

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Graduate Certificate

[/TD]

[TD]Equivalent

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Graduate Diploma

[/TD]

[TD]NVQ 4

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Masters Degree

[/TD]

[TD]Equivalent

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Doctoral Degree

[/TD]

[TD]Equivalent

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• 1 year later...
On 09/02/2017 at 21:36, joeh99 said:

As long as you have submitted exactly what the AITSL have requested. My accrediting uni were fantasic - they provided me with a very detailed confirmation of supervised teaching. Having spent two years on a WHV in Australia from 2009-2011, I fell in love with the country. I actually returned to the UK, done a history degree and PGCE in order to simply return to Australia permantly.

It wasn't until I started the visa process that I found out that my PGCE was a ProfGCE - I was livid with my SCITT provider, as they had never mentioned this to me. Anyhow, it does seem that the Level 6 ProfGCE equates to a Level 7 on the Aussie academic framework.

Good luck! I will let you know as and when - I honestly don't know what I will do if its rejected. I really would love to find out if anyone else with the ProfGCE, attained via SCITT but accredited by a university has been successful.

Hi, I know this is an old post but I’m just going through the process of AITSL now. My tutor at uni was great, but a typical mathematician- what kind of things did your PGCE providers include to make sure you got approved in their letter.

I want to give him as much guidance as possible so they’ve no cause to refuse me. Thanks ? 

• 9 months later...

Hi Joeh99, I'm really interested to know. I thought  the AISTL skills assessment needed postgraduate masters credits that comes as part of having a PGCE, from reading your story I think this is wrong? I have a ProfGCE, through a GTP course. Therefore there are no transcripts, did you need transcripts from your teacher training course or were they just from your bachelors degree?

Thanks 🙂