Australian Frequent Flyer Schemes

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

I just wondered how many people take advantage of the frequent flyer awards. We have done really well with sticking to Virgin and have just travelled to America and back in business class without any financial outlay. Of course we had to spend to earn the points in the first place but when I lived in Cairns and had to keep flying interstate for operations they soon mounted up. Plus taking advantage of the credit card offers with bonus points really helped get out balance high.

I would highly recommend joining a scheme if you are flying to or from the UK. It's surprising how the points can mount up. Over the next few days I will try and post info on each scheme.

Here is some basic info for now.

Australian travellers have been embracing frequent flyer programs in growing numbers. With great benefits such as flight upgrades, member lounge access and even free flights, travellers are keen to sign up. With the large variety of frequent flyer programs currently available it's important to know what features you want your program to have and the benefits that you want to get out of it.

No one frequent flyer program can be 'the best', because people want different things from different programs. The way to choose the best program for you is to compare the features of different programs and pick the one that best suits your needs.

How to compare frequent flyer programs

The different features of frequent flyer programs can make them difficult to compare, but if you think about what you want you can see what's important to you when it comes to earning rewards.

Points earned per $1 spent

Finding a frequent flyer program that will maximise your rewards points by providing points for your type of spending and a higher earn rate will mean that you can redeem the rewards you want sooner. Earn rates can vary depending on whether you are using MasterCard or American Express with dual credit cards so be sure to check which card is required in order to earn the higher rewards points.

Types of rewards available

Even though frequent flyer programs provide the same types of rewards and benefits including travel, retail purchasing and lifestyle rewards the companies and brands who they partner with can widely vary. Taking the time out to compare your options and go through the program information below will allow you to find out how to get the most bang for your buck and get the rewards you want.

Points expiry

When people sign up for frequent flyer programs they usually like to save up for larger benefits which require more points, such as flights or expensive products. The trouble is most programs have an expiry date on points which can limit your earning potential. If you know it will take you a while to earn enough points to get the rewards you want, then you should opt for a program with no points expiry or one which allows you to extend your points. Qantas and Virgin let you keep your points as long as your account stays active.

Membership levels or tiers

Frequent flyer programs usually have different membership levels or tiers which depend on how many points you have and how often you fly. As you move up the tier levels your ability to earn points increases and your benefit level may also increase. You can judge a frequent flyer program on how easy it is to move up the tiers and what you need to do to maintain your membership level. Also take into account what each tier grants you in comparison to other programs.

Partners

Frequent flyer programs will have a number of partners through which you can earn and redeem points. Partners can be other airlines, linked credit cards, hotels, rental car companies, retail and entertainment stores, telecommunications companies or financial service providers. The more partners a frequent flyer program has the more opportunity you will have to earn rewards points and also greater choice when it comes to redeeming your rewards.

Credit cards options

Most frequent flyer programs have an option of a linked credit card from a partner provider. These rewards credit cards are a great way to earn frequent flyer points on your everyday purchases. Some frequent flyer programs offer more credit card options than other, so be sure to compare the available cards before you choose a program. Most overseas-based frequent flyer programs usually will have more limited choices when it comes to Australian credit cards which earn points. Find out more about your options here.

Pooling points with your family

Pooling rewards points with your family is a great way to boost your earning potential. Currently, only a few programs, like Etihad Guest and Virgin Velocity offer this feature.

Guest The Pom Queen
qantas charge $90 to setup a FF membership its crazy

It is, I don't know why they charge, although I read somewhere you get it free at certain times.

Guest The Pom Queen
Just started with Virgin FF and have linked it to my Flybuys and to my gym membership. Hoping to get some cheap/free flights soon.

One great thing about Virgin is the family pooling. It helps you get to Gold, Platinum quicker. In fact last year I had enough status credits to gift Platinum to hubby. It's great as well that you get status credits for your coles shopping. Saying that I've already got enough status credits to renew Platinum in September but I've to fly 6 eligible sectors which is annoying as none of the America flights counted because I used my points.

It is, I don't know why they charge, although I read somewhere you get it free at certain times.

Used to be free if you were outside of Oz though that was 3-4 years ago, so things may have changed. Points do add up quick with them though, specially if you get the right credit cards.

My husband FIFO's and quickly reached Platinum One status for Qantas and Platinum for Virgin. As you say your points add up. I pay for everything rates, electricity , shopping by card (paying the card off every month /no interest) and they certainly accumulate. Perks, free upgrades, access into some stunning airport lounges, complimentary food and drink, it just makes travelling a bit more special.

We set ours up while we were int he UK. At the time they didn't charge for overseas memberships and when we transferred it to Australia nothing was said.

Yep, both mine (many years back) and my OHs (about 3-4 years back) were set up in the UK and just transferred here for free. Definitely the way to go.

A lot of credit cards are linked to Qantas FF as well and I think some of them give a free sign up.

Yep, we are also into our points. I was QF Plat, now QF Gold from FIFO and we change credit cards every year, put all major spend through credit cards and pay off immediately. Follow a few forums occasionally to get good deals. We've had some great family holidays on points.

One great thing about Virgin is the family pooling. It helps you get to Gold, Platinum quicker. In fact last year I had enough status credits to gift Platinum to hubby. It's great as well that you get status credits for your coles shopping. Saying that I've already got enough status credits to renew Platinum in September but I've to fly 6 eligible sectors which is annoying as none of the America flights counted because I used my points.

Can I have some of your SC please ;)? Currently 90 off retaining Gold (end of March) although will be down to 50 after a Sydney trip this month.

I do like Virgin, used to fly Syd - Per quite often but have now moved to Perth so will be doing less travel. Upgraded to business on my flight over on Australia day, the hour delay on the plane didn't seem as bad in 1A. :)