Time after selling house to flight

Pixie77

Hi Pixie77, our house sale completes on 27/02 and we fly out on 07/03. We waited until we had a definite settlement date before booking flights etc. I have contacted all utility companies who will email final bills to us. If you have a car to sell put it up straight away that gives you time to sell it for the best price and not end up giving it away. Of course we did that and it sold in the first week!! Now got a rental from Thrifty for a month at $15 per day. Works out cheaper than paying the finances on my car and insurance anyway, so all good! Make sure you do a tax return and get a fee free bank account! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long after house sale did people actually go? We want to go asap after sale but wondering about paying utilities & closing accounts etc. We'll be staying in a hotel so want to go as quickly as possible.

Completed on the Friday and flew out early Saturday morning!

I was thinking about this earlier. I'm trying to get an approximate timeline together so I can make plans, but I'm really unsure how it is all going to work. One possibility that I thought of for us, is that I might fly out before settlement with the kids and have a holiday rental booked in the UK for our arrival, and leave OH in Aus to send the cats/furniture and then fly over a week or so later after settlement. I thought that would mean that I could start to get things organised at the UK end. However, I'm wondering about the settlement paperwork now, as I'd not even given that a thought and the house is in both names.

Do you know I'm finding it harder to organise the move back than the move over in the first place!

I was thinking about this earlier. I'm trying to get an approximate timeline together so I can make plans, but I'm really unsure how it is all going to work. One possibility that I thought of for us, is that I might fly out before settlement with the kids and have a holiday rental booked in the UK for our arrival, and leave OH in Aus to send the cats/furniture and then fly over a week or so later after settlement. I thought that would mean that I could start to get things organised at the UK end. However, I'm wondering about the settlement paperwork now, as I'd not even given that a thought and the house is in both names.

Do you know I'm finding it harder to organise the move back than the move over in the first place!

Oh you sound like us! It was easier coming to Australia as it was just the two of us. Now there's 4! We thought about me going ahead with the kids but I'm not doing a 22 hour trip with a 3 year old &18 month old alone- I refuse to take that particular challenge!!

So did people just wait for the utility bills & settle up once in England? Would like to have everything done before we go , we're looking at selling ourselves so we are definitely staying for settlement. Just trying to get a bit more organised!

Get in touch with all the companies you owe bills ask them what's best ( they want paying lol )

Once you have a buyer for your home ( providing no issues ) you have about 4 weeks to start cancelling etc.

If you have car that is worth much I would get this sold asap.

Flights I would just book the day before and off you go.

Hi Pixie77, our house sale completes on 27/02 and we fly out on 07/03. We waited until we had a definite settlement date before booking flights etc. I have contacted all utility companies who will email final bills to us. If you have a car to sell put it up straight away that gives you time to sell it for the best price and not end up giving it away. Of course we did that and it sold in the first week!! Now got a rental from Thrifty for a month at $15 per day. Works out cheaper than paying the finances on my car and insurance anyway, so all good! Make sure you do a tax return and get a fee free bank account! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exciting times! Goodluck with the move & thanks for the advice

Oh you sound like us! It was easier coming to Australia as it was just the two of us. Now there's 4! We thought about me going ahead with the kids but I'm not doing a 22 hour trip with a 3 year old &18 month old alone- I refuse to take that particular challenge!!

So did people just wait for the utility bills & settle up once in England? Would like to have everything done before we go , we're looking at selling ourselves so we are definitely staying for settlement. Just trying to get a bit more organised!

Haha! I'd not like to do that flight on my own with two small ones, either! My girls are almost 9 and 11, and aside from some anxiety problems which eldest has, they are really no trouble. I think for us, because OH isn't likely to have a job to go to, and we only have a general idea of where we'd like to end up, I'm more worried about what will happen at the other end. I'm thinking that the kids may have to be out of school for maybe two or three months (which I'm totally comfortable with and I'm sure they won't mind!), and we can budget for it to take a while to find jobs etc, but when we came over here OH had a job to come to, so we had a point of reference for housing search etc. There seems to be a bit more riding on finding the right place with respect to school etc going back, which is why we'll take our time.

Personally, we will be looking at wrapping things up and closing account etc. as soon as we can after renting our place out. Ideally we will hand over the keys and then leave as soon as we can. We may have to stay in a hotel too, but by then our stuff will be in boxes and on the boat. Can imagine that once you are in that position, you will just want to get home as soon as you can, get that long flight over asap. However, on the other hand the longer you stick around, the less time you have to wait for your goods to arrive in the UK.

How long after house sale did people actually go? We want to go asap after sale but wondering about paying utilities & closing accounts etc. We'll be staying in a hotel so want to go as quickly as possible.

Timing in sale of house tied in with other things like school exams were not perfect for us, so house went, we moved into holiday accommodation for some 2 months whilst youngest finished her exams and we finalized sales of cars. on the plus side all our furniture arrived with perfect timing of buying a house here in OZ (lived with Brother for 5 weeks first).