Has anybody noticed...

aconcannon

...that your washing doesn't smell as nice here compared to at home?! I thought it was something to do with our washing machine but a few other people have said the same! It doesn't matter which washing powder or fabric softener I use my clothes never smell as good as they did in the UK! Has anybody else noticed this & found a way to combat it? #ThirdWorldProblems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Sunset I'm not sure so sure if it's the climate? It could be? I'm guessing they just don't put as much chemical c**p in their washing powders & fabric softeners as they do in the UK, they're generally a bit more environmentally friendly in Oz! I miss getting into bed to the smell of freshly washed sheets, lol.

Yes! I thought it was just me, but when we were in the UK I noticed that bed sheets etc at mil's smelt nice. I make my own washing powder with no fragrance (daughter is highly allergic to standard and sensitive washing powder/liquid), so I thought it was just because ours is unfragranced, but on the times I've used a shop bought powder on the sofa covers etc, it hasn't smelled of anything either.

@LKC I'm glad I'm not the only one! It's the first thing I noticed at Xmas when we went back for our first visit to the UK! Even clothes I'd left behind still hanging in my old wardrobe smelt fresher & nicer than clothes I've washed in Australia the same day! I thought maybe it had something to do with our top loading washing machine but I doubt that's the case...

Guest The Pom Queen

I think it depends on the make and aroma. I absolutely love Fab Spice Allure. I know when we were in America a couple of hotels the bed linen was really floral that I wondered if they also spray something on it.

I think it depends on the make and aroma. I absolutely love Fab Spice Allure. I know when we were in America a couple of hotels the bed linen was really floral that I wondered if they also spray something on it.

Thanks, I don't think I've bought that one before so I'll give it a try. Yeah you could be right about the hotels spraying the linen. Actually, I've just remembered that in the U.K. you can buy these scented balls that you add to your washing to make it smell nice. I forgot about those. Definitely haven't seen them over here?!

I'm not sure it is the products because I don't use fragranced softner or anything like that.

My mam always swore by hanging the sheets out overnight on a frosty morning to whiten them so maybe it's something to do with the cold killing off bacteria etc.

Most of us wash at 40 degrees or less (there are even 'cold wash' powders in Australia) & that leaves a lot of nasties in our bedding.

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm not sure it is the products because I don't use fragranced softner or anything like that.

My mam always swore by hanging the sheets out overnight on a frosty morning to whiten them so maybe it's something to do with the cold killing off bacteria etc.

Most of us wash at 40 degrees or less (there are even 'cold wash' powders in Australia) & that leaves a lot of nasties in our bedding.

I do notice that clothes dried outdoors are so much fresher.

Might have something to do with the difference between Soft and Hard Water (it's what many people blame the difference in the way Tea tastes on) - although to be honest I've never really understood what that means.

Try moving from the North to the South of England! You'll notice a difference in your tea! Lol! ( North is better!) ....and also your shower screen/ kettle etc cake up with limescale far quicker down South !!

Guest The Pom Queen
Try moving from the North to the South of England! You'll notice a difference in your tea! Lol! ( North is better!) ....and also your shower screen/ kettle etc cake up with limescale far quicker down South !!

Don't get me started on tea, 95% of places in America don't serve tea, which is hard when I can only drink certain things. Even the McCafe's don't sell tea. I would take my own teabag and they then had the cheek to charge me $2.50 for hot water.

I tend to use FAB (not sure what its called its in a black box) and Comfort softner. If i pull them down and bring them in the same day they smell nice for a fair few days, but if i leave them out overnight the smell isnt as strong and they sometimes have a 'damp' whiff about them. I dont think you get the strong franrant smell you would get using a tumble dryer back in the UK.

Cal x

I definitely noticed it when we lived in Australia and I'm pretty sure it was the different powder. I got my mum to bring a box of Persil tablets with her when she came to stay, which amused the guys at Perth airport, and the smell was the same as when I used them in the UK.

I did find one in Australia I really liked, but can't remember whether it was Radiant or Dynamo.. Looks like I'll be experimenting again if we're there again later this year.

I do notice that clothes dried outdoors are so much fresher.

Maybe we tend to leave them out longer - I know in Australia I was paranoid about fading. In the UK they go out, come in again when it rains, back out again and so on :) Definitely nicer than tumble dried though!

Guest The Pom Queen
I tend to use FAB (not sure what its called its in a black box) and Comfort softner. If i pull them down and bring them in the same day they smell nice for a fair few days, but if i leave them out overnight the smell isnt as strong and they sometimes have a 'damp' whiff about them. I dont think you get the strong franrant smell you would get using a tumble dryer back in the UK.

Cal x

Is it this one Cal, this is what we use. Both the powder and conditioner

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG

Guest The Pom Queen
Maybe we tend to leave them out longer - I know in Australia I was paranoid about fading. In the UK they go out, come in again when it rains, back out again and so on :) Definitely nicer than tumble dried though!

Yes you are right about fading, I have lost a number of lovely clothes due to the sun.

...that your washing doesn't smell as nice here compared to at home?! I thought it was something to do with our washing machine but a few other people have said the same! It doesn't matter which washing powder or fabric softener I use my clothes never smell as good as they did in the UK! Has anybody else noticed this & found a way to combat it? #ThirdWorldProblems

Can be to do with the humidity - I don't know where in oz you are. When I was in Queensland I knew a lot of people who added stuff like Canestan Laundry Rinse to their wash - it kills extra bacteria thats caused by the humidity, and which a normal wash even at 40 degrees can struggle with. I was sceptical but it did seem to make a difference, the clothes did smell fresher. Thats as well as using fabric softener. You just add this stuff in the bit of the machine where you would add bleach etc. Especially good if you do a lot of sports or gym and have a lot of sweaty clothes.

http://www.canesten.com.au/en/products/canesten-hygiene-laundry-rinse/

I must be honest I don't like my washing smelling of anything. I remember one of my children having a nasty rash and it turned out to be Bold 3 in one. Since then I've always used non bio sensitive skin and no fabric softener. I dry my clothes on an airer in the laundry room. They dry in. Few hours in summer and overnight in winter. No smells no sun .

That's defiantly a First World Problem!

B

Funny how you notice something on Facebook that would have gone unnoticed otherwise...what was really interesting was one of the comments said that it was because our olfactory system is more sensitive in damp air - so maybe the washing just smells the same but it's not so detectable. It also added that's why farts smell worse in the shower :)

Smell of rain.jpg

Smell of rain.jpg

My clothes smell lovely, perhaps not the same as the UK but my youngest always gets complimented on how she smells. She doesn't wear any perfume to school so I can only deduce it's her clothing. I use Omo liquid tabs and Comfort Vanilla Orchid Aromatherapy fabric softner. Neither are the cheapest end of the laundry spectrum but I have to have nice smelling washing.