UK pension

High all,

My husband has paid 30 years plus in NI contributions in the UK but no pension in his previous job. He has been in his new job for 2.5 years and is now paying into a pension. The company also pay into it too.

We lived in Australia for 2 years from 2012-2014 and he had a partner visa subclass 100. He worked during that time and paid into a pension with the company paying into it too. Sadly, we returned to UK for family reasons but I am keen to move back in the future. I am an australian citizen, born there. My husbands visa has now expired.

I worked too and also paid into a pension.

My question is this:

If we decide to move back to Oz in the future, what happens with the pensions in Oz and UK and would he be able to manage in Australia financially, say for example, if he worked up to retirement in Oz, or, if already retired, how would he manage financially? Are pensions transferable from UK to Oz? We own a property so would need the sale of it to buy in Oz in the future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Bubbly boo

High all,

My husband has paid 30 years plus in NI contributions in the UK but no pension in his previous job. He has been in his new job for 2.5 years and is now paying into a pension. The company also pay into it too.

We lived in Australia for 2 years from 2012-2014 and he had a partner visa subclass 100. He worked during that time and paid into a pension with the company paying into it too. Sadly, we returned to UK for family reasons but I am keen to move back in the future. I am an australian citizen, born there. My husbands visa has now expired.

I worked too and also paid into a pension.

My question is this:

If we decide to move back to Oz in the future, what happens with the pensions in Oz and UK and would he be able to manage in Australia financially, say for example, if he worked up to retirement in Oz, or, if already retired, how would he manage financially? Are pensions transferable from UK to Oz? We own a property so would need the sale of it to buy in Oz in the future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello

See here for Australian Age Pension eligibility: https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/age-pension (typically 10 years of permanent residence is required).

See here for UK State Pension eligibility: https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension (typically at least 10 qualifying years are required to get anything and 35 years for maximum entitlement).

With regard to private UK pensions and Australian superannuation funds, these can be taken at the relevant retirement age and it may be possible to transfer your UK pensions to Australia.

Kind regards

Andy

Edited by Andrew from Vista Financial