How long to enter Australia once ENS 186 has been granted?

JonandSophietravel

Hi everyone!

I know it's a long way off as we haven't even start the application process yet but I want to have some timescales on paper first.

We're looking at applying for the ENS 186 on the Direct Entry scheme through my wife's current employer, as they have an office in Australia who has already said they'll be willing to sponsor her, and her job is on the CSOL list. Her UK contract finishes in the summer, so we'll be applying around June/July time. We know the official timescale for the visa to be granted (assuming all documents are correct and processed in a timely fashion) is 6 months but I've had a look at the 186 sticky thread and can see if it does take a lot longer sometimes.

My question is: once the visa has been granted (fingers crossed), how long so you have until you need to be in Australia? My wife thinks it's 90 days but I'm unable to find this information on the border website or on the forum. It is 90 or longer/shorter or is there no particular timescale? I only ask because we'll only start the process to sell our house once the visa has been granted so I'm trying to figure out if the completion will have to be done once we're already out there or if we'll be able to count on the returns from the sale to be included in the money we can take with us when we first travel.

Hope that makes sense but I'm happy to answer any other questions or add more info if you need it :)

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you!

Jon

I doubt they will head straight for a 186. It is expensive and takes a long time. Generally employers go for a 457 as a lot cheaper and quicker.

If they did 186, then you would have 12 months from the date of medical or police check, which ever was earlier.

If it is a 457, then you need to be cautious as it is not a great visa. It is only a temp visa and tied to the employer.

A few years ago, we had an overseas employee potentially relocating to Australia about 1 year before his 50th birthday. The migration agent we were using at the time suggested we lodge the 457 and 186 DE at the same time since a) the 457 was quicker and would allow him to migrate much sooner, and b) the 186 can be processed at the same time and once granted, he'd end up with the PR visa.

Assuming it's still possible to lodge both 457 and 186 at the same time, I'd see if her employer was willing to do this so you can migrate more quickly and she doesn't need to wait unnecessarily for the PR visa.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi both.

Thanks so much for your input. Hadn't really considered the 457 before as we wanted to go straight for permanent. I've had a look at it and yes it is a lot cheaper and quicker. That would work out great. Although, would we then have to pay for the perm visa on top of the temp one after a year or two or can you transition straight from 457 into citizenship?

Jon

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If they are willing to sponsor you for a permanent residency visa I would absolutely take it, I've been lucky enough to find an employer willing to sponsor me for a 186 whilst I'm offshore, so it is doable, personally I wouldn't have considered a 457 as I feel they are too risky. The only thing I would say is prepare yourself for a long wait if you do go down the 186 route.We applied in may last year and we're hoping to move early this year but we have yet to hear anything regarding our application!

If they are willing to sponsor you for a permanent residency visa I would absolutely take it, I've been lucky enough to find an employer willing to sponsor me for a 186 whilst I'm offshore, so it is doable, personally I wouldn't have considered a 457 as I feel they are too risky. The only thing I would say is prepare yourself for a long wait if you do go down the 186 route.We applied in may last year and we're hoping to move early this year but we have yet to hear anything regarding our application!

May i ask what's risky about the 457?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

As verystormy put above it's a temporary visa and you are completely tied to your employer, there is no guarantee that you could get pr afterwards and if the employer no longer had a position for you, you only have so long to find another employer willing to sponsor you. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but for me personally I want the security of being a permanent resident and wouldn't consider a 457. Plenty of people do though and it works out great for them!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the info. I think we'd prefer the permanent visa but i suppose it'll all come down to what visa they'll offer us. If they did suggest the double option like Maggie May suggested, would we pay the full cost for both visas?
Yes, each visa has its own application fee so both are paid.