Shipping companies Brisbane to UK - Self pack

princessoz

Hi all,

We are looking to move back to the UK around June this year.

We have started to research shipping companies for the sole use of a 20ft container from Brisbane to South East UK (Sussex area).

Does anyone have any recommendations for shipping companies going back to the UK, we are particularly interested in packing most of our boxes ourselves (we have moved so many times since being here that I am confident we can do this part ourselves) but would need the removalists to safely pack our larger items.

If anyone has any experience of this I’d love to hear who you used and your experience.

I did a search and saw the very helpful post from vinnie3004 recommending Chess – has anyone else used them?

Many thanks.

I guess you could use the people we did but in reverse. Chess Move were pretty good Brisbane side and I would highly recommend Bournes fro Rye on the UK side. Both are members of a global moving network of companies meaning you get the same service and contract terms for both companies.

Best of luck.

" I did a search and saw the very helpful post from vinnie3004 recommending Chess – has anyone else used them?

Many thanks."

Hi, we are using Chess in Perth and so far have been very good. Our shipment goes in 3 weeks so not quite there yet! I also went from recommendations on here including the one from Vinnie3004.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

" I did a search and saw the very helpful post from vinnie3004 recommending Chess – has anyone else used them?

Many thanks."

Hi, we are using Chess in Perth and so far have been very good. Our shipment goes in 3 weeks so not quite there yet! I also went from recommendations on here including the one from Vinnie3004.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Martinbjulieb, hope everything goes well with your move.

Hello

Good luck with the move and making the decision I used Chess when my father passed away in the UK as he had left me some personal items they were great. I am still trying to make a decision but when I do I would have no hesitation in using them they were based in Melbourne I am in Geelong.

Hello

Good luck with the move and making the decision I used Chess when my father passed away in the UK as he had left me some personal items they were great. I am still trying to make a decision but when I do I would have no hesitation in using them they were based in Melbourne I am in Geelong.

Thank you pommysheila.

Hi all,

We are looking to move back to the UK around June this year.

We have started to research shipping companies for the sole use of a 20ft container from Brisbane to South East UK (Sussex area).

Does anyone have any recommendations for shipping companies going back to the UK, we are particularly interested in packing most of our boxes ourselves (we have moved so many times since being here that I am confident we can do this part ourselves) but would need the removalists to safely pack our larger items.

If anyone has any experience of this I’d love to hear who you used and your experience.

I did a search and saw the very helpful post from vinnie3004 recommending Chess – has anyone else used them?

Many thanks.

We used Kent and found them very good but (2013/14) if you do self pack you will have problems with insurance, self insurance with the people who used to advertise on here (was it Lance perceval) is cheaper than the removers, best to do a little list of what you want the removers to do and timescales and then get prices from 3 of the ones you like, they will need a destination at the other end or at least a town and then a mileage ring around it to give a realistic price.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

We used Kent and found them very good but (2013/14) if you do self pack you will have problems with insurance, self insurance with the people who used to advertise on here (was it Lance perceval) is cheaper than the removers, best to do a little list of what you want the removers to do and timescales and then get prices from 3 of the ones you like, they will need a destination at the other end or at least a town and then a mileage ring around it to give a realistic price.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, will definitely have to look at the insurance side before deciding on going with self pack. We used Letton Percival on the way out who were very good as we did have to make a claim for a few damaged items and they were very quick at settling it but that was for the shipping company doing all the packing.

I am in the process of getting quotes. Have talked to two different companies so far Pickfords and Chess. Both said if you pack yourself your goods will be marked as PBO rather than PBR (packed by owner or packed by removalist) and Customs in the UK are far more likely to inspect shipments marked PBO. If they do it can take a couple of weeks extra and they will charge you for the privilege. The Chess guy said it wasn't worth the saving for the amount of stuff I have as a customs charge could cost more than packing. Since 2 completely different companies mentioned the PBO vs PBR codes I am inclined to believe them. I guess it depends how quickly you want your stuff and how tight your budget is. The companies don't charge to do a quote so I would get some one round then they can do an accurate inventory check.

Secondly I don't have enough for a whole container. Both recommended sharing a container and are going to give quotes for sharing and going solo. Sharing a container takes longer as you have to wait for another shipment, Pickfords do lots of corporate moves so have consignments going to the UK frequently and they quoted a slightly quicker time than Chess but only by a couple of weeks.

we will be moving from melbourne back home in august and will be looking to do it our selves too.

our stuff arrived all damaged and most crockery was broken, not necessarily that it was thrown around, but mainly due to itnot been packaged properly

if we did it our selves i could have gaurantted 80% would not have been broken. but we let them do it so we were insured . id rather just get it insured for total loss.

we used PSS removals avoid a all costs.

we will be moving from melbourne back home in august and will be looking to do it our selves too.

our stuff arrived all damaged and most crockery was broken, not necessarily that it was thrown around, but mainly due to itnot been packaged properly

if we did it our selves i could have gaurantted 80% would not have been broken. but we let them do it so we were insured . id rather just get it insured for total loss.

we used PSS removals avoid a all costs.

Sorry to hear about your problems, we used Kent, they packed everything and we had two breakages, they over packaged things I thought. They were very cooperative and helpful and didn't mind quoting in competition with two others.

I would also investigate the price of packing materials because they seemed to use rolls and rolls of that paper reinforced bubble wrap on furniture and there must have been at least a hundred cardboard boxes of varying sizes.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
reinforced bubble wrap! , sounds like they wrapped them well, they just used thick paper on our furniture

We used OSS in Australia when returning back to U.K. Couldnt recommend them enough we packed our own boxes and just insured the TVs and the Aussie fridge and my guitars. As for customs we weren't inspected although we did declare to bottles of whiskey and ended up paying £30 for the excise duty

don't bring back any booze

OSS works in conjunction with Anglo Pacific there packing is like a very strong bubble wrap and they double it for furniture items and their boxes are really sturdy better than pss who we used when we came to Brisbane two years ago

• 1 year later...