Pay income tax in OZ as well as UK?

RichTJam

Good day,

Family of 4 originally from UK with PR status.

Intend to move family back to the UK after 3 years in Queensland.

Cost of living, healthcare and other things the reason for moving back to UK.

I still intend to work in Australia and FIFO between UK and Australia.

I work about 7 months of the year and work at sea so not really an issue to FIFO.

If I pay income tax here in Australia at source, am I still liable to pay any sort of income tax in the UK?

I have searched the web for an answer but to no avail.

Thanks

Good day,

Family of 4 originally from UK with PR status.

Intend to move family back to the UK after 3 years in Queensland.

Cost of living, healthcare and other things the reason for moving back to UK.

I still intend to work in Australia and FIFO between UK and Australia.

I work about 7 months of the year and work at sea so not really an issue to FIFO.

If I pay income tax here in Australia at source, am I still liable to pay any sort of income tax in the UK?

I have searched the web for an answer but to no avail.

Thanks

Based on what you have said here you would be Australian resident for tax purposes. Where your family live is not relevant to your tax residency.

I feel that you should get some proper tax advice though.

Thanks for info.

Not really struggling - just could do a lot better with far more disposable income for the family at the end of the month with lower UK living cost even taking into account cost of flying back and forth. Was going to sell UK house and bring cash over but exchange rate after Brexit was hard to swallow but does make Oz salary sent back to UK after tax very attractive.

Worth getting some advice but Australia and the UK have a double taxation agreement which in short means that you won't pay tax twice on the same income. ie if you are tax resident in the UK, you will receive a tax credit in the UK for any tax deducted in Australia and vice versa.

If you are only working 7 months and are planning on spending 5 months in the UK you would almost certainly be considered a UK resident for tax purposes.

I have a friend who's husband works in Dubai and he is only able to spend a specific number of days in the UK otherwise he'd be taxed here. Of course that then causes other issues as she doesn't work but getting a mortgage, credit etc is difficult because he's not a resident.

Definitely needs expert advice and Alan Collett is your man for that.