What's cheaper Oz or U.K. For glasses

Alycat

Depends on your lens. Can get cheap frames but lens is another matter, I wear multi focals and they are always expensive wherever I have bought them.

I buy my frames on line from Vision Express and have my prescription put in by my local optometrist. You get what you pay for in glasses. I never understand why people want cheap glasses, especially if they wear them all the time. They are on face for goodness sake and part of getting dressed. I never short change my glasses and buy designer as the frames are far superior to other frames and never break. Just me though. I have about five pairs so that I get dressed and pick my glasses.

Depends on your lens. Can get cheap frames but lens is another matter, I wear multi focals and they are always expensive wherever I have bought them.

I buy my frames on line from Vision Express and have my prescription put in by my local optometrist. You get what you pay for in glasses. I never understand why people want cheap glasses, especially if they wear them all the time. They are on face for goodness sake and part of getting dressed. I never short change my glasses and buy designer as the frames are far superior to other frames and never break. Just me though. I have about five pairs so that I get dressed and pick my glasses.

yup I always justify my hairdressing expenses with "well I wear it every day" when OH asks.

I remember thinking it was expensive when I got here, but I've been here 9 years now and a lot changes in that time. My last lot of glasses were $199 for two pair and plus an extra $100 for reactions (or transitions or whatever they call them here) lenses in one pair. That was specsavers. They seem to be by far the cheapest for lenses.

A colleague of mine bought a pair of glasses from Specsavers for $40. I usually spend around $800 less my extras rebate for glasses, so works out about $400 in out of pocket expenses . For me the lenses are the big expense as I'm really short sighted and pay for the thinnest lenses they do. I used to spend around £400 for glasses in the UK (which is a good 5 years ago now) but I didn't have any kind of insurance to pay towards them. I'd say they are much the same cost wise as I expect you can pay a little or a lot in both countries.

If you are taking out PHI then you can get glasses free in Australia and there is usually no wait. The choice for free is limited but if you then pay a bit towards it the choice expands rapidly.

I made sure I got a pair before returning to the UK although I did use up my gap saver too to get some I really liked.

I think contact lenses bought online are pretty much the same price.

• 2 months later...
On 04/02/2017 at 6:44 AM, Alycat said:

Hi all

I'm trying to figure out if I should buy glasses/contact lens in the U.K. Or Australia. Anyone have any opinions?

Should I wait till I get to Oz if it's cheaper?

Depends on what you are after they do offers at Specsavers was there this a.m they do glasses from as little as $39 then 2 for $199 or 2 for $249 but bifocals are expensive.

The one I use are very accommodating both prescriptions are meant to be the same but they allowed me one pair long and one pair short sight ?

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say having gone from 20/20 vision to needing glasses (apparently it's an age thing?!!) my reading sight had deteriorated quite rapidly, cannot read a book without glasses and without a book you might as well amputate my arms and legs! But I'm finding that I need a new prescription every 6 months (apparently it will settle! ) so in my case I can't see the point in stocking up in the UK, spec savers are so reasonable and my HBF covers it all, im happy with Colette Dinnigan frames but if I want Raybans or Chanel then I can go to OPSM. But also m not fussy, got 2 pairs of great frames and a pair of sunglasses for $200, HBF covered the lot and I got a 50% off voucher for another pair  within 6 months, will go for the sunglasses! PS multifocls- never ever again, I feel totally dangerous driving in them, not for me!!