Pre-Trip Money Reccormendations

meharvey1

Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I are looking to go to Australia on a WHV (with the potential of finding a job out there that might sponcer us)

But we were wondering how much money we should bring with us before the trip as a "float" for accommodation and food etc.

Where do people doing a similar thing normally stay during their time out there?

Thanks

Are you planning on moving around Oz? If so how? Flights can be expensive.

Accommodation varies, many WHV holders stay in back packer hostels. These will vary by city and time of year, but there are lots available on the web. Another option would be a shared house. Gumtree is a good place to look for these.

The WHV has a requirement that you have access to a minimum of $5000 each

Also, I am not sure either of you are eligible to be sponsored. Having a university education is not the same as having an occupation. Have you identified an occupation on either of the lists that you could claim to be under?

Hi!

So I was under the impression that you can get sponsored by anyone, if they offer you a sponsered job whilst you are out there on a WHV?

Most of my contacts out there went out to Australia on a WHV and dropped CVs into companies (whose areas are not necessarily on the lists) and then were offered sponsered jobs.

Are you saying that if you are not on the lists, you are not eligible for any kind of sponsership full stop? Because that doesnt explain why my contacts got sponsered jobs

My occupation is in "science communication" which can be anything from working in media, museums, journalism, and it wasnt on any list.

Thanks!

Hi!

So I was under the impression that you can get sponsored by anyone, if they offer you a sponsered job whilst you are out there on a WHV?

Most of my contacts out there went out to Australia on a WHV and dropped CVs into companies (whose areas are not necessarily on the lists) and then were offered sponsered jobs.

Are you saying that if you are not on the lists, you are not eligible for any kind of sponsership full stop? Because that doesnt explain why my contacts got sponsered jobs

My occupation is in "science communication" which can be anything from working in media, museums, journalism, and it wasnt on any list.

Thanks!

You have to be eligible to be sponsored, so your skill needs to be on the current list,AND the employer has to meet the criteria to be able to sponsor you.

Not as simple as 'here's my resume, I'll start work next week'

No, many businesses can not sponsor. Far from it. Also, many have a policy of no sponsoring.

Then, in order to be sponsored you need an occupation on one of the two skills lists.

Then, an employer would need to establish a reason they are sponsoring you. Usually that they have advertised for a while and been unable to get a local candidate.

Then, immigration would want to see your cv and qualifications.

as new grads, particularly in subjects that are not occupational based such as engineering or accounting or nursing, you would seriously struggle to show this.

Then, you have to realise that there are thousands of Australian grads chasing grad positions the same as the UK and to sponsor costs a business significant money. So:

I am far from clear either you have an occupation. A degree is not an occupation

it would be unlikely that immigration would pass a possible sponsorship

Business doesn't need lots of foreign new grads. They want experienced skilled workers.

Hi meHarvey1,

Do the trip, you won't regret it. Sponsorship is not as easy as you have heard.

Regarding $, it really depends, where are you planning on heading to first? Will you want a car? Do you plan on getting your own place or sharing with others? Do you plan on travelling a bit first or looking for work straight away?

The answers to the above will determine the amount of $ you will need. The more the better obviously. Unfortunately Australia is expensive, more so to UK people since the Brexit vote and the collapse of sterling.

I think you (as a couple) would need a minimum of $10k as a starting point. To get a place (either your own or share house) you generally pay a bond/deposit of 4 weeks rent and a month's rent in advance. Also most places are rented unfurnished.