UK veg shortage/ rationing!

Bound4Tassie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38851097

Due to the bad weather in Spain this winter the crops have failed. Pushes up prices. Made me think about post Brexit. Will veg in winter double in price? Can't imagine the EU doing us any favours pricewise once we're out.

Problems are more likely to involve quality and regulation and country of origin if we are trading externally. Plus the French will want to protect their farmers to stop them driving round Paris in their tractors. Been caught in that more than once - not much fun.

I doubt it, it is Spain that is suffering in this not the UK (the only thing that was rationed in my Tesco was iceberg lettuce) & post-Brexit Spain will still want to sell to us. IF there are import taxes then those increases could be passsed on to consumers but then that has to be taken in the context of the UK economy and exchange rates.

BTW I voted remain and I have huge concerns but the price of food isn't one of them.

I doubt it, it is Spain that is suffering in this not the UK (the only thing that was rationed in my Tesco was iceberg lettuce) & post-Brexit Spain will still want to sell to us. IF there are import taxes then those increases could be passsed on to consumers but then that has to be taken in the context of the UK economy and exchange rates.

BTW I voted remain and I have huge concerns but the price of food isn't one of them.

Although the cost of local produce may go up I guess without immigrant labour to work the land. But I guess we can just buy it from Europe.

The UK can produce its own veg easily, anyone can grow it themselves as it is so easy

As newjez says the problem will be a lack of labour, also the cost of growing in the UK is much greater due to energy costs and for the same reason is much worse for the environment. I used to think 'buying local' was best but in terms of carbon footprint buying tomatoes from the canaries for example is the better option.

I honest don't think much will change though.

As newjez says the problem will be a lack of labour, also the cost of growing in the UK is much greater due to energy costs and for the same reason is much worse for the environment. I used to think 'buying local' was best but in terms of carbon footprint buying tomatoes from the canaries for example is the better option.

We did think of getting an allotment once. But it had no water supply, and carting water just seemed too much like hard work. Water is very heavy, on us and on the car. We've grown a few bits in the garden, which are nice, but never in the quantities we would need to feed our family. Although we have friends who are very successful at it. But it is very high cost. It's more for a sense of achievement than practicality. Herbs are a much better thing to grow as they are expensive, and fresh herbs are so much better than dried.

As the person who used to supply a lot of this labour - I supplied about 70 of the labour to the food sector in Norfolk and a few other areas such as Derbyshire, I don't think so. You see, we used to supply the labour, but we were forced out by illegal gang masters. I left the industry when the MD started having to keep a shotgun under his desk and we started getting visits from some pretty nasty characters. Since then, the labour is supplied by gangmasters from Eastern Europe. We used to charge enough that we could make a profit but pay people pretty well to very well. For example, the season work in Turkey farming would be about £25 an hour at today's rates. The gangmasters charge the farms the same as we did, but only pay minimum wage, or often a LOT less. I know for a fact there are people working for £1 an hour and I suspect a number are earning nothing and effectively slaves. The gangmasters are making huge sums of money.

It is impossible today for locals to get jobs in this sector even though they want them as the gangs only take from their own nationality groups. There is also a lot of violence between the gangs.

Well I'm suffering too if I can't get/ afford courgette or iceberg lettuce! It's a middle class disaster! (actually more of a problem for those on lower incomes than the relatively affluent)

I don't understand how this is allowed to go on.

Neither do I. It is also well reported, both channel 4 and BBC have done investigations on this. I was involved in the BBC one. But not a single thing has changed after them.

Though the companies hiring have a lot to answer for. They claim they no nothing, but that is crap.

The UK can produce its own veg easily, anyone can grow it themselves as it is so easy

Growing out of season veg isn't always so easy. And as we want fruit and veg of all kinds all year round now someone else grows it. And due to certain recent events, many of those crops have failed, hence the shortage.

If you mean people can grow whatever they want in their back gardens or something, yes they can, depending on the time of year, weather and if they want to invest the time, energy and cost, give the garden space over to a beg patch and/or green house and so forth. And many don't want to do this or have no interest or time to. Hence they go shopping.

People have just got used to buying out of season stuff. In the UK the prices are flatter year round, here they reflect the seasons. When Aus oranges are plentiful they are cheap as chips and delicious, now they are not the imported ones are more expensive and frankly not worth buying as plenty of other local fruits are in season.

I find I do buy more seasonally here because of this now as it reminds me what is good.

I look forward to oranges coming back in season though and will enjoy them all the more for it.

Growing out of season veg isn't always so easy. And as we want fruit and veg of all kinds all year round now someone else grows it. And due to certain recent events, many of those crops have failed, hence the shortage.

If you mean people can grow whatever they want in their back gardens or something, yes they can, depending on the time of year, weather and if they want to invest the time, energy and cost, give the garden space over to a beg patch and/or green house and so forth. And many don't want to do this or have no interest or time to. Hence they go shopping.

spain has growing seasons as well as the rest of europe...it aint all sun.

spain has growing seasons as well as the rest of europe...it aint all sun.

Did I say it was?

I'd like to discuss the subject but you don't seem to really be doing that so I'll leave it be now, thanks PB.

As the person who used to supply a lot of this labour - I supplied about 70 of the labour to the food sector in Norfolk and a few other areas such as Derbyshire, I don't think so. You see, we used to supply the labour, but we were forced out by illegal gang masters. I left the industry when the MD started having to keep a shotgun under his desk and we started getting visits from some pretty nasty characters. Since then, the labour is supplied by gangmasters from Eastern Europe. We used to charge enough that we could make a profit but pay people pretty well to very well. For example, the season work in Turkey farming would be about £25 an hour at today's rates. The gangmasters charge the farms the same as we did, but only pay minimum wage, or often a LOT less. I know for a fact there are people working for £1 an hour and I suspect a number are earning nothing and effectively slaves. The gangmasters are making huge sums of money.

It is impossible today for locals to get jobs in this sector even though they want them as the gangs only take from their own nationality groups. There is also a lot of violence between the gangs.

when the gangs take over the cabbages... Remember, he's on your side...Mad verystormy.

Apparently lettuces are changing hands for £50 each, surprised the mafia aren't involved!