Elizabeth Murdoch College, Mornington Secondary College or Mt Eliza Secondary College...

Libby

We are looking at moving house. We want have been looking at Mt Martha, Mt Eliza, Mornington and Langwarrin (nearer the Cranbourne end than Frankston end) so really need some advice on the high schools in those areas.

Please can anyone give me first hand or very honest opinions - PM me if it isn't something you want to say on the main board as I am getting really frustrated trying to find a state school that is any good. The area we moved to has a state school in walking distance but everyone I have asked locally have told me is has a terrible reuptation and most of this kids here either go private which we really can't afford or they get the bus to Mornington Secondary College. We have the opportunity to buy a new house and this move is it. We are not wanting to move again as we really need to get our lives sorted and settle down once and for all.

Thanks very much in advance for your help here. I really need some truthful answers.

I can only really comment on Mt Eliza SC (directly, as my kids go there) and Mornington SC (indirectly, through friends' experiences), but would caveat all my comments by saying it is very difficult to compare schools objectively. The same child could have a good experience at one school but a bad experience at another just based on simple things like the friendship groups they form. No guarantees anywhere.

That said, I would have no hesitation in sending my kids to Mt Eliza SC (again) or Mornington SC, as both are perfectly decent State schools. Although Mt Eliza has performed slightly better academically over the last few years, its buildings have an older feel and the facilities are below the standard of Mornington, which has got great sports facilities. If you get a chance, go for a tour around both and see what your gut tells you. Their general "feel" is very different.

When we came to Oz, we rented in Mornington for two years, but sent our teenage kids to Mt Eliza SC. We chose Mt Eliza because it was slightly ahead of Mornington in the school results table at the time, but we also liked the fact that Mt Eliza was smaller and more personal. Both of our kids have enjoyed their time there and have performed well academically. In my opinion, one of the big differences between State and Private schools is how well kids perform who are struggling or disinterested or less-motivated. Private schools will cajole even the most apathetic kids to keep up with the course content, because they can't afford to let their schools perform badly in the league tables (which would hurt their future income streams), whilst State schools just don't have enough money to support everyone, so some kids will inevitably under-perform.

But, if your kids are self-motivated or you are prepared to push/encourage them if they are less motivated, then you will get a decent outcome from both Mt Eliza and Mornington schools. My son finished his VCE last year and is at uni now. He worked hard and the teachers responded positively to that by supporting his development very well. I was very impressed by the quality and hard work of the teachers and the amount of extra time they were all prepared to put in (including one teacher hosting additional classes at their home the weekend before an exam). Exceptional commitment that you would not expect.

Hope that helps a little. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM.

• 2 weeks later...

I have considered Frankston High but they are very strict with zoning as it's so popular. We've already been in the stress of trying to buy a house in the zone before we ended up where we are and it's most definitely out of our price range. We can't afford a doer upper in Frankston South now. Have you seen what's happening to the house prices in the Frankston High zone?

Hi Libby,

What year group are your kids? I'm out of zone for Frankston High, but my eldest was going into year 10 at the time, so we called and asked if they had places, and she got in. If they have vacancies in a year group then they might take your son/daughter. Worth an ask. I think it's harder to get in if you're applying for year 7, but sometimes the higher years have spots. Good luck!

Libby,

It does depend on your budget, but when we moved to Frankston in late 2015, we had the same issue. We ended up buying in Frankston Heights, which is still in zone, albeit a little further away from the school. It is still close enough that the kids can walk to/from school (about 30 mins), and the prices are still a bit lower than Frankston South.

• 1 year later...

Mt Martha, Mornington and Mt Eliza are significantly better suburbs than Langwarrin. Mt Eliza specifically has the best schools. Toorak College and Peninsula Grammar have been ranked within the top 50 schools in Melbourne. Mornington also has plenty of good schools with expansion. Padua College has undergone an extension redevelopment and so has the local primary school. Balcombe Grammar School is also a good choice with ultra modern facilities and great teachers. Plus these beachside suburbs are very popular with families and have one of the highest population of UK-born migrants.

Edited by bayside