Prince 2 Project Management Certification - Beneficial for jobs in Australia?

Dan Jade

Hi,

I am after a little bit of advice from anyone who may be in the Project management industry in Australia....

I currently work for a defence company in the UK and my job title is Senior Project Engineer, I have been in this role nearly 3 years but I don't have any qualifications for Project management i.e. a degree or certifications.

I have the opportunity to take the Foundation and Practioner Prince2 Project management certification (but at a cost to myself) and I was wondering whether taking this course and receiving this qualification would be more beneficial to me for me getting a job in projects in Australia? rather than just having 3 years work experience in the role.

I hope this makes sense.

Any help would be really appreciated.

thank you

Danielle

Hi Danielle,

Yes, PRINCE is recognised in a lot of companies for projects (as is PMBOK and increasingly Agile). PRINCE is an acronym btw (Projects run in a controlled Environment). If you see your career as a professional PM, you should get some PM qualifications.

I did the foundation about 14 years ago and found it really good. Probably a bit of overkill on the documentation but overall quite positive and you can pick & choose what you use. I don't work as a PM but the PRINCE training has always stood to me and I have used bits of it over the years.

Hope this helps.

Just a little damper on that. I used to work in IT (Software Developer) but chose another career path over here (teaching) as the fun had gone! I've spoke with a couple of IT professionals who've come over and found that unless it's an Aussie qualification companies aren't interested. One was PRINCE qualified and had extensive experience but couldn't get any role in IT. I was also told that back in 2013 in Brisbane there were 5000 more IT professionals than there were available positions. Be careful and consider doing an Aussie course.

I work in the project management field and many employers seem to use PRINCE2, PMBOK, Agile, P3O for PMO roles etc, as a minimum benchmark to use when screening applicants. So its not essential for doing the job, but highly desirable to put on cv when applying for roles.

If you can afford to do PRINCE2 practitioner or similar I'd recommend it.

Edited by vickyplum

I worked in IT in Perth and PRINCE and ITIL were widely recognised.

I assume you are either doing an ACS RPL or migrating as a partner, otherwise you would not pass a skills assessment without qualifications.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a Prince2 practitioner and yes it's recognised.

I was a PM in the U.K. in the public sector. I'm capital works coordinator at a regional council here so work in the program office and we have a team of PMs that deliver road and other capital projects.

The council uses PMBOK methodology and AIPM accreditation so I've just completed my Reg PM with AIPM too. Even though they use a PMBOK me having Prince2 was seen as beneficial when I applied for the role and I secured it before leaving the UK. Also, we're looking at project mgt software at the moment and all the demos I've seen cater for either PMBOK or Prince2 so it's definitely a recognised methodology.

I just need to decide whether to fork out the money to do my Prince2 renewal as it's due in August [emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by saz71

Hi there,

I work in project management in financial services in Sydney and agree with the above post. I don't think it is a requirement for doing the job but is a requirement to get past interview screening by recruitment teams.

I found when job hunting when I moved over that pretty all adverts ask for a certification, eg PRINCE, PMP so did the PMP which I surprisingly enjoyed and found added some value.

In short, I think if you can do it it will help you when looking for jobs here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk