Sponsorship by my brother for 489 visa

Sasidhar

Hi, could someone please let me know if my cousin brother (Australia Citizen), who is son of my mother's sibling (immediate sister), can sponsor me for 489 visa as my first cousin. Also please let me know if providing birth certificates of my mother and my brother's mother suffice to show that they are siblings. Appreciate your consideration and Thanks in advance.

Edited by Sasidhar

That wouldn't be an issue since it would be very common for the parents to have different siblings. I assume you'd need to provide some sort of family tree diagram and paperwork to confirm the family relationship (e.g. your mother's and his mother's birth certificates showing the same parents), but the DIBP website should confirm the documents required.

To qualify as a sponsor foer 489, your cousin must live in a 'designated area', as defined.

Hi Mr.Russell, Thanks a lot for letting me know, my first cousin lives and works in Melbourne, which I could see as one of the designated areas. Indeed, I am only worried about over one question, if I and my brother need to share same surname in order to qualify for sponsorship. On seeing that you're a registered migration agent, I would like to confirm it for sure that we don't need to share same surname. Can you please let me know that. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Sasidhar

Indeed, I am only worried about over one question, if I and my brother need to share same surname in order to qualify for sponsorship.

A first cousin relationship is determined solely by the sibling relationship of your parents. That's what you need to prove. The surname used by you or your cousins is irrelevant.