Decision Help

TomBrum

Hi all,

My partner and I are both in our early 20's, we are getting married this year and since visiting Australia a couple of years ago, it's always been in the back of our heads about moving.

My dad is a British born now Australian citizen living in Perth for about 10 years now.

I have an engineering based degree as well as 7 years employment in an engineering company and recently moved in to sales. My partner is an estate agent and she has done that for about 4 years now and progressed to a management position.

My questions are;

1. Will we struggle to find work?

2. We own two properties in the U.K. and ideally would want to buy asap in Oz, how soon can you buy?

3. Does anyone come from a real estate background and can help us work out what is required to work in that field in oz?

4. Are we best to visit a few more times or just go for it and see how it goes?

sorry for all the questions!

thanks ?

Unless you can get PR which you would need your occupations on the skills list then it would only be a WHV you could get. This only allows you to stay a maximum of two years and that's only if you spend a certain amount of time doing certain jobs like on a farm. You can work on this visa but only for a maximum of 6 months with the same employer. That makes it harder to get a 'proper' permanent type job as employers know they won't keep you. Tends to be more casual work on that visa. Best to check whether you can get PR I think before you look at house buying/permanent move. Your dad being there won't be relevant. Did I read your post right? You have a degree and 7 years work experience but only in your early 20's?

Edited by Tulip1

1. Possibly. WA engineering is mining focused and there has been a downturn recently. The iron ore price has been rising recently, however, so that will help.

2. You'll need FIRB (foreign investment review board) approval if you are a temporary resident, but not if you're permanent I don't think. Otherwise, straightaway. However, you will likely struggle to get a home loan with no Australian history. Also, you would be crazy to buy straightaway. Stay a year or two and then decide if you want to put down roots.

3. Pretty sure it's like a weekend course and then you are registered. It's a very low barrier to entry. It will be state-specific but that's the case in QLD I think.

4. If it was me at your age I'd just go for it and treat it as an adventure. If you decide you hate it then just treat the time as a working holiday, see the region, and have fun. Depends on how much you want to keep your current jobs though. If it's a big decision to give them up then I'd probably visit first. Only you can make that call.

To help answer your questions. Employment has been mentioned, Perth not great for that right now. Houses are struggling to sell it seems and lots of rentals empty. On that bases estate agent work may be tricky but I don't know that. In terms of buying, no problem if either you are a cash buyer or in employment, have a deposit and can get a mortgage. As has been said, best to get a rental for maybe six months, get jobs, ensure you know what area to buy in and maybe explore other states before deciding. Melbourne is fantastic for young couples. All this is irrelevant unless you can get PR so they really is your starting point. Good luck.

I always like the principle of try before you buy.

You guys are mid 20s, a good option is to come over on a WHV to see if you like it. If after a while you decide you want to stay, you can then apply for PR (presuming you have the points).

Just moved to Perth myself, a bit soon to give you a good lay of the land re workwise. Plenty of empty places to rent at reasonable prices.

It's sunny though :) (although it did rain Monday & Tuesday)