Getting car insurance question.

Alycat

Hello! Just wondering about getting car insurance once we arrive in Oz. Is it more expensive since we will be on U.K. Drivers licenses? I know in the U.K. It costs more for car insurance if you have a non U.K. License..

Also How long does it take to get Australian drivers licenses?

Thanks in advance!

It takes about 20 minutes to get your licence, minus the que time... You go to a dept of transport ,fill in the form,show papework/ID, have your picture taken and get a temp licence there and then, your photo card licence is then posted to you normally within about 10 days.

Can't help with the insurance sorry as most migrants i have met just exchanged their licence straight away as its often asked for when you need to show ID.

Cal x

Agree with the above. Find your local office and go along and get an Aus DL. We were all done in under half an hour. Had a temp paper Aus DL and the photo card came through in the post within a week or two.

UK no claims proof is good to have as it will count with quite a few insurance companies. You need to shop around to find the best deal.

Shop around for your car insurance with a company such as iselect. Just because a company goes on tele saying they can offer you big savings, don't always believe them.

A year or so ago I thought I would give youi a chance to quote, and all through the telephone "interview" , is the car garaged, named drivers, good record etc the rep was saying wonderful, we can save you this, we can save you that and after she had all the info needed she came back with a quote over $400 more than my current one. When I told her she wasn't even in the same ballpark she said that was the best they could do.

Also, once you have your policy, when it comes up for renewal don't accept the new premium without shopping around again and use any lower offers to haggle with your current insurer.

Mike

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Each state has its own rules but as a rule you have to swap to an Aus licence by law within a few months of arriving. Insurance here is pretty crap compared to the UK - third party is compulsory, fully comp is optional. However if you have full comp you still have to pay for third party, unlike in the U.K. When fully comp covers you from all angles. Excess is crazy too & you can't lower it to £100/200 like you can in the UK so it's almost not worth having!

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz