Hello!!

chrissi

Hi Everyone!

I am so glad I have come across PomsinOz. My husband has asked if I would consider moving to Australia. This has not really come up in a conversation properly in the last 12 years. We have had a discussion in depth about it, and have agreed to do our through research on the whole thing, as we have 3 young children.

I have look at visas, and we both qualify for a skilled visa. That's about how far I have come.

Where can I get information as to schools, best part to live with the children & finding jobs etc.

The first thing after the visas I came across was about the hague convention (which has been totally spooked and worried like made) any help anyone could shed would be amazing.

Thank you all so much for reading my post, hopefully we will chat soon.

Hi and welcome.

It it would help if you can tell us more about things.

What at are your occupations and qualifications?

what do want from the move?

Australia is bigger than Europe. It is an entire continent, so it is a bit like asking where is the best part to live in Europe. Though knowing your occupations will help a lot with that.

The Hague convention is a common issue. What would you like to know?

Welcome on board! Consider what type of climate you are looking for... It varies greatly across Aus. If you'd still like seasons consider Melbourne or Tassie. Queensland is more year round heat but humid and expect some BIG downpours! What sort of things are you hoping for in Aus? Do you get a lot of help from family with your 3 kids? Are you surrounded by close family? Could you live (happily) without the support network? There is lots of info on this site but take opinions with a pinch of salt.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Chrissi, welcome to the forum. As others have said Australia is huge. Have you visited before? What kind of life do you want? What climate and how far a commute to work? This may help us narrow states down for you.

In regards to The Hague why does it worry you? Is it because of an ex or the thought that something like this could happen in the future. We can all help no matter what your answers are we have members from all walks of life. Just remember no question is silly and we all asked thousands of questions when we first made the move.

Hi Chrissi, welcome to the forum. As others have said Australia is huge. Have you visited before? What kind of life do you want? What climate and how far a commute to work? This may help us narrow states down for you.

In regards to The Hague why does it worry you? Is it because of an ex or the thought that something like this could happen in the future. We can all help no matter what your answers are we have members from all walks of life. Just remember no question is silly and we all asked thousands of questions when we first made the move.

I think I probably asked the same question twice a few times! :laugh:

Welcome, good on you for doing your research before agreeing to anything. Have you ever been to Australia? Do you have a burning desire to go? What do you hope to get from it that you couldn't get where you are? How close are you to family and how reliant on them? It's a bloody big place so what sort of climate do you prefer? What sort of activities do you enjoy? What occupations do you have? What aspirations do you have for your kids and do they need additional assistance at all?

You are right to be wary of the Hague Convention, many (usually) women have found that to their cost. It is often the women who find it hardest to be away and totally independent from extended family and usually (but not always) the blokes who think Australia is the best thing since sliced bread and they don't ever want to leave. If, as many families have found, this causes strife within the family and a breakdown in the relationship then as long as one parent, even the most drop kick useless of parents, says no the kids may not leave Australia, the Family Court will never let them go and the parent who is yearning to leave may not do so unless they go without their kids - and not many are prepared to do that! Some folk have tried to have almost a "prenup" type agreement formally set out but I don't think it has been tested in the Family Court. So I would say, if you have any doubts about your ability to move freely at any point for whatever reason then don't do it.

Good luck with your decision making - if you are selfish (not in a pejorative way) and self reliant you should be fine

• 3 weeks later...

I'd echo the comments above about clarifying what you are hoping to achieve/expectations/concerns about the move. This will aloow you to receive more targeted replies. Also if you have never been, I'd suggest you come on a holiday first (bearing in mind that holidays and living here are very different).

Having said that, my cousin and her family made the move 8 years ago with a 8 and 11 year old. They did a few years in Canberra and are now 6 years in Perth and very happy. She had been here as a backpacker, her partner/kids had never been. They were late 30s/early 40s at the time.

The Hague convention is an international agreeement concerning children been abducted and taken to another country (normally by a parent in the case of separation), it basically provides for cooperation between the 2 jurisdictions to return the children when ordered to by a family court. Both the UK and Australia are signatories, this is a good thing. What is your concern/query regarding this?

Hope this helps