Car hire in WA

stevej

Hi everyone,

we are due out for feb half term and have booked a car with Alamo through a broker in uk. Can anyone tell me their experience with things such as the extortionate excess etc. Have people taken out third party excess protection or used alamo's own.

Cheers

steve

Hi everyone,

we are due out for feb half term and have booked a car with Alamo through a broker in uk. Can anyone tell me their experience with things such as the extortionate excess etc. Have people taken out third party excess protection or used alamo's own.

Cheers

steve

They tend to offer you one rate, and then another rate significantly higher if you don't want the massive excess. The way they drive over there, I would reduce the excess. I didn't know you could take out third party excess protection. That might be an option. Please post if you find out.

They tend to offer you one rate, and then another rate significantly higher if you don't want the massive excess. The way they drive over there, I would reduce the excess. I didn't know you could take out third party excess protection. That might be an option. Please post if you find out.

You absolutely can & it is the only way you should ever do it

From the UK have a look on here for comparisons https://www.travelsupermarket.com/en-gb/car-hire/excess-insurance/?p=0&source=GOO-3B924EA9&mckv=sR0jfLMv1|dc_pcrid_88572382509_mtype_p_kword_car%20hire%20insurance%20excess_nixe9oroo0&uuid=210986D3-B690-489D-8FF2-BCE680C1EBA2&Device=c&gclid=Cj0KEQiA_KvEBRCtzNil4-KR-LIBEiQAmgekF_rhWSclI7WhdCFV_pSKDqbcXn_J-ryo5HJjmn6i4RwaAmbs8P8HAQ

I would expect similar is available in Australia. You take it out in the country you live not the country you are going to.

One thing to be aware of is the car hire company will expect you to pay a deposit & this can be hefty - we paid $2000 in the US and should you have an accident you will lost this deposit, however you then claim it back from the excess insurance you have taken out. So this only is an option if you have some money (or at least credit card limit!) to play with.

We used this when we hired an RV is America and the savings were huge. A lot of the companies offset the cheap cost of car hire with making money on insurance but you can get the cheap price without taking it.

You absolutely can & it is the only way you should ever do it

From the UK have a look on here for comparisons https://www.travelsupermarket.com/en-gb/car-hire/excess-insurance/?p=0&source=GOO-3B924EA9&mckv=sR0jfLMv1|dc_pcrid_88572382509_mtype_p_kword_car%20hire%20insurance%20excess_nixe9oroo0&uuid=210986D3-B690-489D-8FF2-BCE680C1EBA2&Device=c&gclid=Cj0KEQiA_KvEBRCtzNil4-KR-LIBEiQAmgekF_rhWSclI7WhdCFV_pSKDqbcXn_J-ryo5HJjmn6i4RwaAmbs8P8HAQ

I would expect similar is available in Australia. You take it out in the country you live not the country you are going to.

One thing to be aware of is the car hire company will expect you to pay a deposit & this can be hefty - we paid $2000 in the US and should you have an accident you will lost this deposit, however you then claim it back from the excess insurance you have taken out. So this only is an option if you have some money (or at least credit card limit!) to play with.

We used this when we hired an RV is America and the savings were huge. A lot of the companies offset the cheap cost of car hire with making money on insurance but you can get the cheap price without taking it.

Thanks - I tend to borrow my parents car - and they assure me it has no excess for me, but I know when I borrowed my brothers car it had an excess of $4000 for non named drivers. I'll have to check out whether the insurance covers that as well. Thanks!

Last time we went out we stayed with distant relatives and they insured us on their car ,The hire car we have booked has a $5500 excess and $200 deposit. They do offer two excess waivers one to reduce it to $400 for a price of $30 per day and one to reduce to $0 for $36 per day. I have been and gotten an excess insurance quote and that came to £18.74 but you still have to pay the hire company then claim it back. at current exchange rates $5500 is a lot to have available should we need it.

I usually hire from from Bayswater, it's $35 a day (for a corolla automatic) and I paid the excess waiver of $8 a day which reduces the excess to nothing.

Which was handy because someone did damage the car in a car park.

I'm even sure that the excess waiver was added to the duration of the hire, it may have been a max payment of $80