Moving to Hobart in April!

South West Steve

Hello everyone!

I'm writing this post in the hope that someone could give me some general advice on our impending move to Hobart in early April.

We are feeling very lucky as my wife has secured a sponsored post in Hobart but now also beginning to panic as we realise that we need to organise some rented accommodation (initially before looking to buy) and also school places for our two children (aged 6 & 7) all without having actually been there! We have travelled to oz a few times, just never to Tas.

I'm only just starting to look at the suburbs but could really do with any help/advice anyone has! At the moment we are living in Dorset so would like to move somewhere similar (fairly quiet with good access to beaches).

we are all feeling massively excited about the impending move and cant wait to start living in such a beautiful place. :jiggy:

Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved!

Thanks in advance

Steve

I'm sorry I missed this earlier, Steve...I'm having internet connection problems at the moment so am not spending much time online.

Re suburbs: I immediately thought of Taroona for you. A quiet suburb just south of Hobart CBD along the western shore with a number of small, cove-type beaches, a nice community spirit, a primary and high school (if you are looking for government schools). Alternatively Kingston or Blackmans Bay, the next two suburbs along the shoreline. Kingston is larger with more facilities - shopping centre, medical centres, a large and very active sports centre etc. but both have very nice beaches and primary schools - government, independent denominational and a Steiner school....also a high school at Kingston. The possible negative would be traffic if needing to commute into Hobart at peak hour (with the proviso that Tasmanian "peak hour" is probably much less "peak" than anywhere else you've lived. :wink:)

Don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions.

Thanks for replying Skani!

I have looked at Kingston and Taroona (and they looked great) but have been lucky enough to secure a month of house sitting for somebody who lives in Howrah.

This looks good for us as it looks ok for commuting into Hobart but also has all the local ammenities that we require. Not sure what your general opinion would be?

I think that we may use this initially to base ourselves in the area but we are going to need to explore the island a bit to ultimately find our own bit of paradise!

I have a mountain of questions to ask but at the moment am trying to organise our departure which is taking most of my (limited) brainpower.

At present im trying to choose between different removal companies and finding it hard to trust anyone to transport our stuff half way round the world....

Any input or opinions on which companies would be helpful. Also, im unsure how to find the best money transfer service as they all seem to be fairly similar. Again, any info on that subject would be handy.

I know that time is ticking and that we'll be there before we know it.

Cant wait!

Thanks again, Steve

We are moving to taz as soon as our visa is sorted, probably may-ish. ive been doing some research like yourself.

I contacted Pickfords for moving our stuff, bearing in mind we only have personal possessions to bring, nothing big. i can see if i can copy what it was going to cost to ship over 3 tea chests.

i also have a list of good / bad/ indifferent areas around Taz, taken from another forum, however it is a bit old and probably out of date, i've posted on my thread asking for opinions too.

GOOD

•Rose Bay

•Lindisfarne

•North Hobart

•New Town

•Battery Point

•Sandy Bay

•Richmond

•Seven Mile Beach

•Acton

•Doo Town

•Huon Valley

•Bruny Island

•Austins Ferry

•Moonah

•West Moonah

• Acton Park

•Midway Point

•South Hobart

•Berridale

•Lutana

•Wattle Grove

•Petchey's Bay

•Cygnet

•Bellervie

•Rosny

•Howrah

•Tranmere

•Geliston Bay

•Old Beach

•Lenah Valley

•Taroona

•Sorell

•Sandford

•East Launceston

•Trevallyn

•West Launceston

•South Launceston

•Newstead

•Invermay

•Norwood

•Pipers River

•Devonport

•Wynyard

BAD

•Rokeby

•Gagebrooke

•Bridgewater

•Chigwell

•Kingston

•Claredon Vale

•Glebe Hights

•Risdon Vale

•Herdsman Grove

•Summer Hill

•Prospect

•Riverside

•King's Meadows

•Newnham

•Youngtown

•St Leonards

•Waverley

•Mowbray

•Mayfield

•Rocherlea

•Ravenswood

MIXED

•Burnie

•Glenorchy

•Claremont

•New Norfolk

•West Hobart

•Launceston

07-02-2017 3 items From FY7 8BQ, United Kingdom to Hobart, Australia

295.00 GBP

Sea freight to door

15 cubic feet 6-12 weeks transit

381.90 GBP

Courier to door

99 Vol kgs/96 Kgs gross 7-10 days transit

558.40 GBP

Air freight to airport

66 Vol kgs/96 Kgs gross 10-14 days transit

870.40 GBP

Air freight to door

66 Vol kgs/96 Kgs gross 14-21 days transit

Delivery of flat pack cartons to FY7 8BQ FREE

Edited by Fleetwood Rik and Nik

i also have a list of good / bad/ indifferent areas around Taz, taken from another forum, however it is a bit old and probably out of date,

Some of those are a bit comical - they have all of about 20 residents. :wink: However, for your purposes, I'd definitely include Kingston and West Hobart in "good" areas.

We are moving to taz as soon as our visa is sorted, probably may-ish. ive been doing some research like yourself.

I contacted Pickfords for moving our stuff, bearing in mind we only have personal possessions to bring, nothing big. i can see if i can copy what it was going to cost to ship over 3 tea chests.

i also have a list of good / bad/ indifferent areas around Taz, taken from another forum, however it is a bit old and probably out of date, i've posted on my thread asking for opinions too.

07-02-2017 3 items From FY7 8BQ, United Kingdom to Hobart, Australia

295.00 GBP

Sea freight to door

15 cubic feet 6-12 weeks transit

381.90 GBP

Courier to door

99 Vol kgs/96 Kgs gross 7-10 days transit

558.40 GBP

Air freight to airport

66 Vol kgs/96 Kgs gross 10-14 days transit

870.40 GBP

Air freight to door

66 Vol kgs/96 Kgs gross 14-21 days transit

Delivery of flat pack cartons to FY7 8BQ FREE

Interesting info re quotes thanks. I might contact them for our move as we are doing similar - just a few boxes. I wish they would come into Devonport....would make my life easier! Lol!

Some of those are a bit comical - they have all of about 20 residents. :wink: However, for your purposes, I'd definitely include Kingston and West Hobart in "good" areas.

Well they were lifted from elsewhere from a few people's opinions, of course local knowledge is always useful. If you or anyone would like to add comments to or reclassify any on the list please feel free, like I say local knowledge is a valuable resource to those of us moving over there :)

• 2 weeks later...

We have been living in Howrah for almost 5 years now, and its a nice quiet area. We have great views over the water to the city and the mountain, and yes, its true, it rains more on the Western shore than the Eastern shore! There is a local beach area, and its only 10 minutes drives to seven mile beach which is really nice. Commute into the city on a morning takes around 11 minutes if you leave no later than 7:30am. Leaving just 10-15 minutes later and the journey time increases to 15+ minutes. Not exactly bad compared to a typical UK commute (mine used to be 45 minutes). I would advise checking the rush-hour drive to Kingston if you plan to live there and are working in the CBD, it always seems to get gridlocked in the city heading in that direction at home time.