Car purchase...

clickerbob

Hello all,

We just arrived 6 weeks ago and are looking to buy a cheap car to get us by over the next 6 months or so.

Ive seen a Subaru Forester, but I'd has no service history. Going to look at it tomorrow.

It's old and cheap, so probably not even worth getting an RACQ Inspection carried out on it,

What are people's views of buying a car with no service history? Will I struggle to sell it on?

Many thanks,

Bob

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Guest The Pom Queen

People do seem anal about getting their car serviced over here, although I've never asked or been asked for the service history.

I don't know what you are paying but I would recommend getting an inspection it's around $250 I think. Or a local mechanic may do one cheaper. We have been burnt three times getting cars second hand and would always get one done in future

welcome bob, you don't say where you are, please be mindful if in NSW, provided the car is under 10 years old and 160,000 kms you are entitled to a 3 month warranty. just be careful when purchasing if you can afford a few hundred dollars get an approved used car.

Reference servicing and service history, unless its been purchased new, people can say what they want never believe a seller, and go with your gut instincts. remember buying private you are buying sold as seen and have no comeback.

It is your money and make sure you are safe with it, I believe a member on here was selling the same said car.

Chris

Edited by Chris N Lora

People do seem anal about getting their car serviced over here, although I've never asked or been asked for the service history.

I don't know what you are paying but I would recommend getting an inspection it's around $250 I think. Or a local mechanic may do one cheaper. We have been burnt three times getting cars second hand and would always get one done in future

Thanks Pom Queen...

welcome bob, you don't say where you are, please be mindful if in NSW, provided the car is under 10 years old and 160,000 kms you are entitled to a 3 month warranty. just be careful when purchasing if you can afford a few hundred dollars get an approved used car.

Reference servicing and service history, unless its been purchased new, people can say what they want never believe a seller, and go with your gut instincts. remember buying private you are buying sold as seen and have no comeback.

It is your money and make sure you are safe with it, I believe a member on here was selling the same said car.

Chris

Cheers for the welcome and advice Chris.

Maybe in Cairns they are anal about car servicing, but in Melbourne VIC they do not care. When I was looking to buy a used car the amount of people that said they would prefer not to get a road safety cert and chatting to friends who have not bothered with any type of servicing as no road worthy required until you actually go to sell your car.

God bless the UK and the MOT requirement! While not perfect, it does mean cars have to actually pass a valid road test every year. I have friends whose cars I have discovered are probably death traps since I started to look into buying a car.