options under 457

457 help

Hi All,

I am looking into possibility of 457 visa from my brother who is currently overseas. I have gone through the immigration website and 457 booklet but still i have few questions/quires which i want to get opinion of expert member here. I remember that forum was of great help when i applied for migration 6-7 years ago.

Is that possible if my bro came here on visit visa and then he can buy a business here and self sponsor himself for 457. The business can be restaurant/butchery/poultry form/testing lab etc. He has master degree is Physics so i am just wondering how these businesses can work for him in term of occupation as he is not chef, butcher.

Also what are the requirements for the business that he can use to self sponsor him. e.g. Does it need to be a established business? Or he can establish a business like a test lab or electrical business? is there any requirement for turnover or employees, tax etc.

Your help will be really appreciated.

Edited by 457 help

I dont think he could do that he would need some sort of business visa to move over and run a company himself. As far as i know it he has to be sponsered by an established company as an employee but hopefully someone a tad more clued up on visa's will be along soon to confirm if im right or not.

Cal x

Yeah the company will have to demonstrate two key things (there may be others):

1) There is a business need for an employee that cannot be met in Australia (usually this is done by advertising the job for a month and then demonstrating that none of the Austrlalian applicants were suitable)

2) At least 1% of the current payroll expense has been spent on training in the preceding 12 months

I don't see how a business your brother rocks up and buys can demonstrate that either of those criteria are met. I'm sure there will be other business visas that are more suitable though.

Hi All,

I am looking into possibility of 457 visa from my brother who is currently overseas. I have gone through the immigration website and 457 booklet but still i have few questions/quires which i want to get opinion of expert member here. I remember that forum was of great help when i applied for migration 6-7 years ago.

Is that possible if my bro came here on visit visa and then he can buy a business here and self sponsor himself for 457. The business can be restaurant/butchery/poultry form/testing lab etc. He has master degree is Physics so i am just wondering how these businesses can work for him in term of occupation as he is not chef, butcher.

Also what are the requirements for the business that he can use to self sponsor him. e.g. Does it need to be a established business? Or he can establish a business like a test lab or electrical business? is there any requirement for turnover or employees, tax etc.

Your help will be really appreciated.

I have seen agents posting that it is possible to self-sponsor on a 457, BUT your brother would need a good agent, one with a solid background in that area and would need to be able to meet an awful lot of benchmarks with his company. Its not as simple as opening a business and then saying 'right, I am sponsoring myself'

If he wants to take this route, get professional advice and be prepared to pay well for it.

Yup. its actually i have seen many add like u can sponsor yourself but it not a easy thing. I had in mind to consult with some expert agent esp who has deep understanding of 457. Any recomendation in Sydney will be appreciated.

But say if he bought a restaurant which has 457 approval, can he then sponsor himself? the only issue i that case might will be to prove that he is chef which he is not! its complicated :(

Yup. its actually i have seen many add like u can sponsor yourself but it not a easy thing. I had in mind to consult with some expert agent esp who has deep understanding of 457. Any recomendation in Sydney will be appreciated.

But say if he bought a restaurant which has 457 approval, can he then sponsor himself? the only issue i that case might will be to prove that he is chef which he is not! its complicated :(

I suspect that even if the business was already approved to sponsor then a change of ownership would be them having to be approved again.

However by saying that he is a chef, when he's not, in order to try and get a visa might well be seen as fraud which would end the whole plan. I doubt if any self-respecting agent would get involved with that scenario.

copied from 457 information booklet:

[

A new business may still satisfy this requirement if they can provide evidence that they are in fact

operating, even if they have only been doing so for a short period of time.

Examples of acceptable evidence may include:

a detailed business plan

contract of sale relating to the purchase of the business

lease agreement relating to business premises

contracts to provide services

evidence of employment of staff

Business Activity Statements (BAS) for each complete quarter from commencement of operations to

date of lodgement, and/or

business bank statements covering the period of operation.

]

I think there are options but my feeling is; they haven't been much work done looking into them.

Edited by 457 help

copied from 457 information booklet:

[

A new business may still satisfy this requirement if they can provide evidence that they are in fact

operating, even if they have only been doing so for a short period of time.

Examples of acceptable evidence may include:

a detailed business plan

contract of sale relating to the purchase of the business

lease agreement relating to business premises

contracts to provide services

evidence of employment of staff

Business Activity Statements (BAS) for each complete quarter from commencement of operations to

date of lodgement, and/or

business bank statements covering the period of operation.

]

I think there are options but my feeling is; they haven't been much work done looking into them.

None of that addresses the basic fact you just haened to mention above

' the only issue i that case might will be to prove that he is chef which he is not! '

None of that addresses the basic fact you just haened to mention above

' the only issue i that case might will be to prove that he is chef which he is not! '

but that give hope that he can start a business in his area (Electrical/lighting/testing). the only issue to buy established business in this area, its v hard to find such business for sale, and if so, they are very expensive and over priced. But if you can start your own one and sponsor yourself, that is good option.

Edited by 457 help

I'm not sure on the business buying on a visitor visa.

To get the 457 visa though he would have to jump through the same hoops as any employee trying to get a 457 with any company. You can't get sponsored as a chef if you are not a chef.

Contact alan at go Matilda. I believe he's done a fair amount of this, but it doesn't sound promising for your brother.