Best family suburb ?

Kathycat

Hi, to everyone, i am looking for some info on a good area to hopefully come and live by the end of this year, my hubby has an interview in pennant hills and was looking for some help, i have a son who will be 7 and i am a nurse, info on schools, nursing jobs etc would be brilliant.

Thank you all

Kathy

Hi Kathy

Pretty much anywhere around Pennant Hills is leafy & nice if you are off the busy main roads. Thornleigh, Normanhurst, Westleigh, Pennant Hills, Beecroft, Cherrybrook is all pretty good, as is further out from Cherrybrook to Dural (if you want semi rural) or towards Castle Hill and all the suburbs around there.

Budget will be the big driver, none of this area is cheap, have a look on Domain and Realestate to check rental prices.

Nursing jobs quite well served in this area, public hospital at Hornsby, big public hospitals at St Leonard's and Westmead, lots of private hospitals (Macquarie, Hills, Norwest)

Budget is all though. Sydney is expensive, mostly for housing. It's like London. So make sure you do your sums

Hi NSP,

Thanks for the info, i will have a look at those areas, we want as cheap as possible but not too cheap, prob looking around 500 per week maybe cheaper.

We want close to amenities but not to far from pennant hills for marks work, and parks for the little one.

Its a big decision we need to find the right area for us all, we know we dont want sydney.

Thanks, more info will be appreciated.

Kathy.

Hi Kathy

it the question you have asked, but if you are a nurse and planning to move by the end of this year, it would be worth beginning the process of getting your registration with APHRA. they need quite a lot of documentation which is easier to get when you are still in the uk. See the NMC website also, as they have to send verification of your good standing.

good luck

karen

Hate to say it, but I think your budget is a bit light

See here: Open search on Domain for Pennant Hills & surrounding areas, max $500pw. It's almost all 1 bed flats

https://www.domain.com.au/rent/pennant-hills-nsw-2120/?ssubs=1&price=any-500

I checked a few cheaper areas (west of Castle Hill, around Kellyville; and south west of Pennant Hills towards Parramatta) and not much going on there either. The only houses in the $500 range, and there aren't many of them, look really tired on the website and that probably means the reality is worse

Sorry. I don't like pouring cold water on peoples' dreams but this is an expensive city and it can be demoralising/depressing to go through the upheaval of moving to the other side of the world and live somewhere horrible or have a really bad commute. The migration disruption is unsettling enough

There are rentals in the Baulkham Hills. Northmead, Winston Hills area that have rentals around your budget. These are older, but very good, suburbs which have excellent schools, sporting facilities, restaurants and shops.They are close to Parramatta and not far from Pennant Hills. Westmead, Norwest and Baulkham Hills rehab hospitals are nearby. The rehab is for people who have undergone major surgery . Hope this helps. There isn't really a bad suburb in the Hills District, it's simply where a person feels best.

It's not uncommon for people to revise their budget a bit for rent once they start looking. We came looking at paying about $600 a week, but ended up paying $1k a week (this is for a family house size). Units can be cheaper. Last time we looked around the north shore which is slightly to the east of where you are looking we didn't see many houses less than $800, but we known people in units who pay around $700 - $800 per week.

It's a bit tough, but as there's not much choice, you just pay it. It kinda works out, as wages are a bit better, but unfortunately Sydney has the second most expensive property prices in the world after Hong Kong. So it's not easy to get around it!

My wife used to work from Hornsby hospital, ad loads of her mates lived around the Pennant Hills area.