14 weeks and still not left the uk!

Dean001

Hi all, we've used ******** to ship our belongings from the UK to Perth. They were collected 14 weeks ago and we've been advised last week that they've not even left the UK yet, with no information when they might do so. When we got the initial quote they told us 6-12 weeks so we banked on it being the 12 weeks, but to hear it might be another few months is concerning. We are sharing a container so apparently need to wait until it is full. Is this just something we have to live with & part of emigrating? If anyone has any advice or experience it would be useful to hear. Thanks, Dean

Hi all, we've used ******** to ship our belongings from the UK to Perth. They were collected 14 weeks ago and we've been advised last week that they've not even left the UK yet, with no information when they might do so. When we got the initial quote they told us 6-12 weeks so we banked on it being the 12 weeks, but to hear it might be another few months is concerning. We are sharing a container so apparently need to wait until it is full. Is this just something we have to live with & part of emigrating? If anyone has any advice or experience it would be useful to hear. Thanks, Dean

Hi Dean I find it strange they are waiting to fill a container over such a long period but I can only go on my personal experience, how long is it? 200ft! I shared a 40ft container and from leaving my house to arrival in Melbourne including customs it was 12 weeks I recall. Thats with plenty of bikes and garden gear etc. Maybe one of the partners here will have the knowledge of why its sitting there. I was extremely happy with the company I used, maybe I got lucky....

Really sorry to hear this, not what you need in an already stressfull time. I too am sceptical as to why they are waiting so long to fill a container....surely a well established company would be shipping multiple containers from the UK to Perth over this period? If I were you I'd take this further. Are your belongings safe or gone missing and they're stalling you? Do they have a legal obligation to complete the shipment within a certain (maximum) timescale?

My wife and I are shipping our stuff from UK to Brisbane in July and are just starting to gather quotes and recommendations. We too are looking at a shared container as not bringing that much but this has worried me a bit as what we are bringing is pretty valuable (mountain bikes, my work tools etc...). I really hope everything turns out for the best and would be interested to know what the end result is.

I notice the name of the company has been blanked out...are we not allowed to mention names of shipping companies to avoid or recommend?

Edited by Jimbob

Not sure re that last question Jimbob but would be understandable if its all for a valid reason although i'd be starting to get rather concerned on 14 weeks too. I had 3 quotes and not one of them said stuff would be held in the UK that long. Looking at my paperwork:

Collected from London home: 31.8.16

Left UK: 12.09.16

Arrived Melbourne: 4/11/16

I had 5 bikes with 2 of them worth over £1500. Every bike box got opened by customs apart from the one in a wooden box..I brought a new Karcher pressure washer just for this job with the reasoning that 2 dirty bikes treatment (or disposal which also costs $$) would cost the same as the new washer!.

We got pulled on 2 items: a pair of shoes that needed gamma radiation (even though they looked super clean!)... $50 for treatment and a xmas wreath that the removal man tried to snuck in a cupboard ($50). I think I did well, especially as I took gardening tools, camping gear etc. I've heard some horror stories.

I didn't bother with the trampoline and remember dont bother with car child seats as not to AUS standard.

This is the danger of a shared container, they will not ship until it us full and if they are waiting for another load to marry up with your then tuff.

The trick if buying a sole use container is to ensure they seal it in front of you. This means it will go straight to the port and be on its way. If not sealed, likely it will go back to the yard, be repacked to make more space, somebodies else's goods packed into YOUR container and eventually shipped, very common problem and you are none the wiser. The repacking is where most damage occurs.

S

Food for thought on the shared container scenario for us then. I've so far been quoted between £2600-£2900 for shared and £4000-£4500 for a full/sole use container. The difference beween top whack part and lesser full being £1100 is making me weigh up if it's worth paying more for peace of mind. Shame they don't do 10ft containers!!

Sorry Dean001, it doesn't help you in your situation. I hope it all comes together for you.....all the best.

I notice the name of the company has been blanked out...are we not allowed to mention names of shipping companies to avoid or recommend?

I don't think there's a problem with recommendations but the PIO Administrators have previously had issues with companies given negative feedback on here - they've threatened legal action.

So in those cases the company can't be named but, if you want more information, you can PM the poster concerned.

There are one or two companies on here that the forum automatically stars out due to legal reasons with these companies. Make of that what you will.

On other occasions mods do remove the company name if the post is a name and shame type post, again for legal reasons. But otherwise people can use shipping company names and they are left as is.

I cannot see any sign of post editing on the OP's post so would guess its been automatically ******* out as its a company we don't allow mention of on here for legal reasons.

Guest The Pom Queen
I don't think there's a problem with recommendations but the PIO Administrators have previously had issues with companies given negative feedback on here - they've threatened legal action.

So in those cases the company can't be named but, if you want more information, you can PM the poster concerned.

Skani and Snifter are both correct. I don't know the company the OP used but if a company is starred out it is usually because they have received negative feedback and threatened us with legal action if it isn't removed.