work ethic of Australians

sabana

Please don't get offended but as a European who recently had to take over HR in our small company I am appalled of what I am seeing. We're having several jobs on offer from technicians, engineers to accounts p/r. I'm not even mentioning the developer position I've had to fill internally thanks to Tafe teachers because of lack of applicants.

How is it possible that Australians without education or experience turn down jobs at above award pay? I am baffled at how much Europeans or other Nationals want a job just for the sake of having a job and are willing to work hard whilst aussis here are turning our offers down.

We are still not able to fill our vacancies which is putting a strain on everyone in the company.

I am ready to say now: Australia does not have a skills problem, Australia has a moral problem.

Is it that as long as the dole is better they won't work? Is it that they have been spoiled by the past economic highs? Sure there are exceptions but I'm shocked about the work attitude or our applicants.

If anyone is interested please PM. We're looking for field engineers/technicians/infrastructure engineers and accounts p/r.