Difference between 190 state nominated and 189 skilled sponsored visa

SoniaG

Hello,

I am yet to start with my application process and am reading a lot on which visa i should apply for. Could someone pls tell me the difference between 190 state nominated visa and 189 skilled visa? I was looking into 189 skilled visa but would like to know the difference.

Response much appreciated!

Sonia

Hi Sonia,

If your occupation is on one of the local occupation in demand lists published by a particular state government then you might want to request that state to sponsor you for a 190. If your occupation is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) as distinct from the Consolidated Skilled Occupation List (CSOL) then you're entitled to apply as an "independent" for a 189. There are often significant points test advantages in using a state sponsor; sometimes people also do it for relative speed of processing and some governments offer support to their sponsored candidates. There are eight states/territories here capable of sponsoring applicants. This link might help: http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/State-Migration-Plans .

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi Sonia,

If your occupation is on one of the local occupation in demand lists published by a particular state government then you might want to request that state to sponsor you for a 190. If your occupation is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) as distinct from the Consolidated Skilled Occupation List (CSOL) then you're entitled to apply as an "independent" for a 189. There are often significant points test advantages in using a state sponsor; sometimes people also do it for relative speed of processing and some governments offer support to their sponsored candidates. There are eight states/territories here capable of sponsoring applicants. This link might help: http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/State-Migration-Plans .

Cheers,

George Lombard

Thanks George. I just checked my occupation(Software Engineer) under Victoria and it is not available. So i guess i will have to go with 189. I nominated for Vic as my sister resides in Melbourne.

Regards,

Sonia