Citizenship??

Pixie77

Advice please. We're in Adelaide. Onkaparinga council. We're about to start citizenship &were planning on heading home around July/August. Unfortunately health issues of grandparents are putting us under pressure & hubbie is pushing to leave sooner without citizenship. We have 2 children both Australian. I'm worried about the future if we don't get citizenship but believe it can take 6months plus (we haven't even done forms yet!).

Any advice? We're obviously in a rush to get back to England to support family but citizenship is important too....

If you want citizenship, you'll need to stay to apply for it etc, attend the ceremony and gain the passport etc.

I'd have a look and see how long the process is and how long you'd have to wait for a ceremony etc. It may be pretty quick all things considered and you could get it done a bit sooner than your July/Aug planned for leaving date. Until you know you can't really plan for anything I don't think.

Here is the Onkaparinga council info. They hold pretty regular ceremony days so I'd think you should perhaps just get on with it rather than holding off. Chances are you could have it sorted sooner than you think.

http://onkaparingacity.com/onka/living_here/community/citizenship.jsp

Also

https://www.border.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/citizenship-processing

I'd crack on and get it sorted now if its important to you.

Hi Pixie

Have a look at the citizenship timeline thread to get an idea of application times.

You do have to be here for interview and citizenship ceremony. If you are given a date for ceremony you can defer it, but you must do it within a year of approval or you have to start again.

It really would be foolish to leave without it when you have Australian children, are you needed to care for grandparents or is it a case of wanting quality time with them before the inevitable?

Can you spend some time in the UK without permanently moving back & the return to Aus to get citizneship?

Perhaps start the process and see how things pan out, you may be able to get an emergency ceremony (that's what takes the time - the test/interview is about a month from applying) or return for it or delay it until you can return.

I agree with the other posters in that you really need to hang around to gain it. You never know what the future holds and we have had a few members over the years that went back without it and couldnt get back here when circumstances had changed and they wanted to return, if you qulaify now, apply straight away and get the ball rolling.

Cal x

Thanks all. We want to return for quality time with grandparents but also the rest of the family is under pressure &could do with us there to help. Grandfather in hospital at moment so Hubbie may be going alone sooner than planned for a visit..... we have a house to sell so we can't move to quickly anyway. Onkaparinga has estimated 6-12 months for citizenship so we do need to rethink our plans.....

We have friends who got theirs done with that council around the 6 month mark. I think if you want to get citizenship you have to just get on with asap and hopefully it will be on the quicker side for you.

Thanks all. We want to return for quality time with grandparents but also the rest of the family is under pressure &could do with us there to help. Grandfather in hospital at moment so Hubbie may be going alone sooner than planned for a visit..... we have a house to sell so we can't move to quickly anyway. Onkaparinga has estimated 6-12 months for citizenship so we do need to rethink our plans.....

I'm no expert (by far) but I would say apply now. After your test date gets allocated, call to change it to an earlier date. After that's done, and you're approved, you can move freely on your current visa. All you have to do is come back for the ceremony. So if your hubby stays and does the test, he can leave for a visit, can take the children as well and you both can fly back for whenever your ceremony is. You just have to make sure you have a working mailbox as the ceremony invite will come via snail mail.