Working in Australia remotely for an overseas company

B1K3R

Hi! :)

Hoping that there is a way to do this. I will be working in Australia remotely for an overseas company. They are not sure how all this work and neither do I, so we're trying to figure it out.

So of course I will be paying Tax in Australia, the company will be paying me monthly to my European bank account with no tax deducted. I already have a TFN number as was employed full time in Australia before.

Will I have to register for an ABN and work as a contractor (if even possible) or I can stay employed with them as I am? If so will they have to register with PAYM and pay super? Or I can do that?

Any information of how I can do this is appreciated!

Edited by B1K3R

I would think if you are paid in a European country you would be paid by the rules of that country & taxed in that country.

As you would be resident in Australia you would declare the income and tax paid on your ATO return but (assuming the country is one that has a double taxation agreement with Australia) you would not be taxed again.

Alternatively you could work as a contractor in Australia with a client in a European country & you would then invoice the company and you would pay tax under ATO rules.

This is all just 'I think' based on my own experience and I suggest you contact GM Tax for the best way to proceed.

I was going to continue working for my Australian company when i returned to the UK - I was already a contractor & they could have continued to pay me in AU$ but in the end it was deemed 'too difficult' but that was a large multi-national company and I don't think outside of my direct team anyone could be bothered sorting it out.

Hi :)

Yeah, it seems that there is a double agreement. As I understand it, I will only pay tax in Australia. My queries really are more about what do I need to do for this to work, like TFN or ABN? Will the company need to register for PAYN and pay super and stuff like that.

I in fact send a message to ATO, no idea if they will answer :P If not, guess I'll need to find some tax lawer....

Cheers

Hi :)

Yeah, it seems that there is a double agreement. As I understand it, I will only pay tax in Australia. My queries really are more about what do I need to do for this to work, like TFN or ABN? Will the company need to register for PAYN and pay super and stuff like that.

I in fact send a message to ATO, no idea if they will answer :P If not, guess I'll need to find some tax lawer....

Cheers

GM Tax are really good @Alan Collett posts on here

My understanding is different to the above. I believe that as you are working in Australia the company you are working for would have to run an Australian payroll for you, pay super and Australian payroll tax. This is based on what the place I work for now and the place I have worked for previously have said about employees working in overseas countries (I work in Finance but this not an area of expertise, just based on comments made by experts in meetings). Hopefully Alan would have more actual knowledge on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is something which not a lot of countries are members of called an ex-pat contract which is essentially a double-tax treaty. I don't know if this will apply to you but you could probably start with searching if your country has one, I know UK definitely does.

• 1 year later...

I'm kind of in the same situation, will be working remotely from Australia for a company in Switzerland (that has no business at all in Australia).
Wondering if there are any tax implications for the swiss company?
B1K3R, how did this end up for you?
Have you found definitive answers to your questions?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm kind of in the same situation, will be working remotely from Australia for a company in Switzerland (that has no business at all in Australia).
Wondering if there are any tax implications for the swiss company?
B1K3R, how did this end up for you?
Have you found definitive answers to your questions?

I work for a UK company but am based in Oz. Because they don’t have a corporate presence here I am set up as an independent consultant and am paid in AUD. I pay all my taxes here. For me it was the simplest solution and might be something worth considering.