New to Perth and Job Seeking - WHV Issues

Emma Hadley

Hey everyone

I've just moved to Perth a month ago and I am on a working holiday visa for now and then in a few months (when I have the money for the visa fees) I will apply for a partner visa as my partner is a citizen. In the meantime, I feel like I am struggling to find a job as I expect a lot of prospective employers don't want to know because of the 6 month work restriction on my visa.

Does anyone have any tips or advice that someone on a working holiday visa could use when looking for applying for jobs? Do I need to do anything specific on my CV or cover letter to let them know that I'm not just a backpacker who's going to be leaving in a few months. Obviously we are settling here now and if I could just get an interview to explain the situation that would be great. I'm not hearing back from anything and I'm not being fussy - I'm literally willing to do any job for now just to get some money in but not sure where I seem to be going wrong. I'm just getting a bit disheartened that I am struggling because I am not a resident and therefore do not have full working rights at the moment.

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated. Would love to start my application for the partner visa right now but money is the biggest issue. Need to wait until I've saved the money up before I can even go down that route!

As I say I will literally do anything right now, including bar and restaurant work. I've completed my RSA too so I'm all set to go - just need someone to give me a chance!

Thanks for any advice, it's much appreciated.

Emma

Have you looked at the job sites specifically for backpackers? You will find jobs there aimed at WHV

You probably have a couple of challenges right now, firstly the economy/unemployment in Perth is a problem at the moment so the non-skilled jobs are more appealing to locals and secondly the universities are on holiday so the market is flooded with students, once they go back vacancies should open up.

The reality is, you are on a whv and employers will very rightly assume that is all you have. Until you have a partner visa, then you don't have one. They can not assume you might get one and the partner visa may take a lot longer to process than a whv last, so, you would go on a bridging visa, but that has the same restrictions as the whv.