Partner Visa Accepted... enter before certain date question.

Jcheverton

Hi All,

Our partner visa (the offshore one) has been accepted (yay) and we have been given a date that we must re-enter Australia.

Do we need to move back permanently by that date or can we just visit for a holiday and move back permanently after that date. What are the rules surrounding this?

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks

James

• Like 1

Congrats! I know for our perm resident visa it was just the date we had to enter. We then had 5 years to come and go as we wished. We weren't ready to move by the first date so came on holiday before the first date and made the move 3 years later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to make first entry by that date. You can go for a validation trip and depart again or make the move by then.

Many on a partner visa tend to make the move rather than validate. Usually as it's a move been planned for and to save on costs after the big expense of the partner visa. Splashing out for a holiday for a family or even a return flight for just the person granted the visa adds up.

The travel aspect to the visa is valid for 5 years as has been said. If you've not moved over during that time you may not get much leeway with an RRV to move after this date.

Hi All,

Our partner visa (the offshore one) has been accepted (yay) and we have been given a date that we must re-enter Australia.

Do we need to move back permanently by that date or can we just visit for a holiday and move back permanently after that date. What are the rules surrounding this?

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks

James

hi James

congratulations!! Do you mind be me asking how long it took for your visa to be processed?

vicki

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
You have to make first entry by that date. You can go for a validation trip and depart again or make the move by then.

Many on a partner visa tend to make the move rather than validate. Usually as it's a move been planned for and to save on costs after the big expense of the partner visa. Splashing out for a holiday for a family or even a return flight for just the person granted the visa adds up.

The travel aspect to the visa is valid for 5 years as has been said. If you've not moved over during that time you may not get much leeway with an RRV to move after this date.

Thank you@Snifter, this has answered a lingering question on my mind too! Would you know how the DIBP determine the date by which my partner has to visit Australia? I understand it is generally decided from the date of the medical certificate or the police clearance! If that is the case, in our case both these documents would have reached their end of validity or would have expired (we submitted these documents at the time of lodging the application in Dec 2016. So I wonder how they would determine the date by which to enter Australia!

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

4 hours ago, samwise said:

Thank you@Snifter, this has answered a lingering question on my mind too! Would you know how the DIBP determine the date by which my partner has to visit Australia? I understand it is generally decided from the date of the medical certificate or the police clearance! If that is the case, in our case both these documents would have reached their end of validity or would have expired (we submitted these documents at the time of lodging the application in Dec 2016. So I wonder how they would determine the date by which to enter Australia!

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

You should be given an enter by date I would think. It is usually one year from the medical or police check, whichever was done first but CO can extend past this at their discretion. Usually if people wait to be asked to provide medical and police check they have a good 6 months in which to make first entry after grant. 

However, you are applying from outside the UK and I really don't know how it might work for you. I would be guided by your CO as and when. 

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 01:19, snifter said:

You should be given an enter by date I would think. It is usually one year from the medical or police check, whichever was done first but CO can extend past this at their discretion. Usually if people wait to be asked to provide medical and police check they have a good 6 months in which to make first entry after grant. 

However, you are applying from outside the UK and I really don't know how it might work for you. I would be guided by your CO as and when. 

We applied via London so offshore, and my UK police check was dated 18th March 2017 and so we were given the date of 17th March 2018 to enter Australia by.

By the sounds of it, if your meds were dated December 2016, then you'll have until December 2017 to enter the country (providing your visa is granted by then), or if for whatever reason it hasn't been granted by then, you'll need to re-do meds and police checks as they have to be valid at the time of the visa grant.  As @snifter said, your Case Officer should be able to advise you in any case.  My case officer was fabulous.

On 19/01/2017 at 06:57, Jcheverton said:

Hi All,

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks

James

Congrats :) If you don't mind may i pick your brain on the process on the offshore partner visa? Is your sponsoring partner a PR or citizenship? I have PR already and looking into submitting 309/100 application for my partner within the next month but we both currently live together in the UK and I'm worried about my Sponsorship obligation that i must normally be an Australian resident i.e. living there currently is my understanding of this, but I'm unsureO.o

Edited by bella1458
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bella1458 said:

Congrats :) If you don't mind may i pick your brain on the process on the offshore partner visa? Is your sponsoring partner a PR or citizenship? I have PR already and looking into submitting 309/100 application for my partner within the next month but we both currently live together in the UK and I'm worried about my Sponsorship obligation that i must normally be an Australian resident i.e. living there currently is my understanding of this, but I'm unsureO.o

You've posted this on a quiet thread. 

You would be better off posting in our partner visa thread. 

13 hours ago, bella1458 said:

Hi Bella

My sponsoring partner was an Australian Citizen (although he had lived in the UK since 1991 but never renounced his Citizenship so that was okay).  If you hold a PR, I know you can sponsor a partner, but I don't know if you have to be residing in Australia - in terms of your PR, I'm assuming you have a Return Residents Visa to go back okay?  Otherwise your PR status could lapse?