NHS treatment

yvonne2504

Hi I wondered if anyone could clear something up for me.. Ive lived out of the UK for 7 years in austrailia have PR.. I am a UK citizen... I am travelling back this year for a trip to uk and Europe does anyone know if in UK I am entitled to emergency healthcare? I don't think I am in Europe. Like if I have an accident or something can I get free treatment while in the uk the 3 weeks while I am there? if anyone could reply that would be great as ive googled this and there is a lot of conflicting and confusing information.

many thanks

Yvonne

I always thought Australia and England has reciprocal agreements for emergency health care - I haven't checked before I responded. We recently had our mother in law from England here and she needed to see GP. She got in and no issues. She did have to pay the GP fee though (wasn't inflated because she was from UK).

Hi Yvonne, emergency/life saving intervention is free at the point of access, especially as someone with dual nationality. Evidently this new government is attempting to get individuals to prove their nationality to access healthcare, but that's only happening in London at the moment.

Guest Priscilla101

You are still a uk citizen. Get travel insurance as you never know. But you are entitled to emergency cover in uk. If you live outside for more than a year they can ask you to pay for non life threatening treatment. But if the state of the nhs tells us anything, it's that no one chases for money. And if you don't say you're not British, how would they know?

Europe is a different matter. Expect to pay at the point of service. If you don't qualify for a healthcare card (have to be living in uk in tax system) then they charge

Travel insurance covers much more than just medical bills. If you were very seriously injured or ill, for example paralysed or in a coma it would pay for a transfer back to Australia (which could be important for family) or being very morbid if you were to die returning your body. If you were too ill to travel either outbound or return it would refund your flights and those of your travel companions.

It also usually covers your belongings, missed departures etc.

But to answer your question Uk has a reciprocal agreement with Australia so treatment would be free. You would need to check if there is a reciprocal agreement with other countries you are travelling to.

You are still a uk citizen. Get travel insurance as you never know. But you are entitled to emergency cover in uk. If you live outside for more than a year they can ask you to pay for non life threatening treatment. But if the state of the nhs tells us anything, it's that no one chases for money. And if you don't say you're not British, how would they know?

Europe is a different matter. Expect to pay at the point of service. If you don't qualify for a healthcare card (have to be living in uk in tax system) then they charge

I don't know why we don't do that? Maybe because of the bad press it would cause?

Yes as a British citizen you are entitled to free care.
OK, to save an argument, next time you are at a hospital, tell them you are a British citizen but non resident and see how far you get. I imagine it's been awhile since you were non resident?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/496951/Overseas_visitor_hospital_charging_accs.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiLkY_L3tPRAhVKSRoKHWNxCYMQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNFfI_A0GWiB2IO_sbu9sRcElPW3VA

Edited by newjez

OK, to save an argument, next time you are at a hospital, tell them you are a British citizen but non resident and see how far you get. I imagine it's been awhile since you were non resident?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/496951/Overseas_visitor_hospital_charging_accs.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiLkY_L3tPRAhVKSRoKHWNxCYMQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNFfI_A0GWiB2IO_sbu9sRcElPW3VA

From that document...

• Regulation 14 – reciprocal healthcare agreements: Former residents residing incountries with which the UK has a reciprocal healthcare agreement may be coveredby the terms of that agreement and be entitled to free NHS hospital healthcare (usuallyonly for medically necessary healthcare but will depend on the terms of the relevantagreement).

From that document...

• Regulation 14 – reciprocal healthcare agreements: Former residents residing incountries with which the UK has a reciprocal healthcare agreement may be coveredby the terms of that agreement and be entitled to free NHS hospital healthcare (usuallyonly for medically necessary healthcare but will depend on the terms of the relevantagreement).

well I would hope that we wouldn't let people die in the streets. But if you require ongoing care, you may struggle.

Did you actually read the original post or were you just reacting to what I posted ?

I'm working in the UK at the moment and am splitting my time between the UK and Aus, nobody at the doctors asked me where I'd been for the last 10-15 years... Although did say that my NHS card is no longer used.

In principal if you have declared yourself as non resident of the UK and resident in Aus then you should only be getting/seeking emergency NHS care or treatment while in the U.K visiting. If you are officially ordinarily resident in the U.K then you can use the NHS to its fullest.

People ideally should be be more transparent re their use of healthcare of their former country of residence and use the correct channels to seek healthcare so it can be claimed back from their new country of residence. It's how it's supposed to work but alas I think many NHS providing facilities perhaps don't think to question someone who sounds British or who they may know or who is still in their system as they never sought to remove themselves when they moved overseas to live. And many people retiurning for a holiday don't perhaps realise that they are perhaps misusing the system by accessing non emergency NHS care/treatment during their visit. If they move back permanently or meet the criteria for 'ordinarily resident' then of course they can and should access the NHS in full as it's needed.

When we moved to Aus I ensured I notified my GP and dentist we were moving overseas and no longer going to be resident in the U.K. And to remove me from their patient systems so to free up a patient place on their books. I don't live there anymore and reciprocal cover exists with Aus and I would take out insurance also if visiting in future.

Did you actually read the original post or were you just reacting to what I posted ?
both. When my sister broke her ankle, she had emergency surgery. Covered. Then six months of follow up treatment. Which you may struggle with if you are non resident. Edited by newjez

In principal if you have declared yourself as non resident of the UK and resident in Aus then you should only be getting/seeking emergency NHS care or treatment while in the U.K visiting. If you are officially ordinarily resident in the U.K then you can use the NHS to its fullest.

People ideally should be be more transparent re their use of healthcare of their former country of residence and use the correct channels to seek healthcare so it can be claimed back from their new country of residence. It's how it's supposed to work but alas I think many NHS providing facilities perhaps don't think to question someone who sounds British or who they may know or who is still in their system as they never sought to remove themselves when they moved overseas to live. And many people retiurning for a holiday don't perhaps realise that they are perhaps misusing the system by accessing non emergency NHS care/treatment during their visit. If they move back permanently or meet the criteria for 'ordinarily resident' then of course they can and should access the NHS in full as it's needed.

When we moved to Aus I ensured I notified my GP and dentist we were moving overseas and no longer going to be resident in the U.K. And to remove me from their patient systems so to free up a patient place on their books. I don't live there anymore and reciprocal cover exists with Aus and I would take out insurance also if visiting in future.

I don't think the test is as rigourous as a taxation test. If you are working in the UK and Australia, then I assume you would have an address at both and probably meet the residency of both. I'm not making the rules and trying to pick on people, but I do spend a lot of time in hospitals, and when I'm waiting around I often read what's on the walls. They are enforcing residency tests. How heavily they do this I wouldn't no, as I'm resident. But if I was traveling I would make sure I was suitably insured.

both. When my sister broke her ankle, she had emergency surgery. Covered. Then six months of follow up treatment. Which you may struggle with if you are non resident.

Yes but the OP was asking about emergency A&E type of treatment during a 3 week trip so months of aftercare doesn't really come into it I imagine.

Yes but the OP was asking about emergency A&E type of treatment during a 3 week trip so months of aftercare doesn't really come into it I imagine.
could be worse. I don't think we are at coronation Street plot levels yet, Where the character had a ruptured appendix in Florida and had to pay up big time. But I imagine we are heading that way, and to be honest I don't mind, as why should we allow NHS tourism.

(Obviously this is not a criticism of the op!)