Getting a Mortgage in the UK while partner does not have Permanent Residency

Flake

Hi all,

My husband is Australian and I am English- we are looking into returning to the UK and we would really like to buy a house within a year of returning. My question is though as my husband won't have permanent residency - is it possible to get a joint mortgage?

It's been a while, but I was here in the UK (I'm australian) with my then British boyfriend (Now my hubby) and we had no problems getting a joint mortgage. I was on an ancestry visa then (had 3years left) - however, it never came up, and wasn't something we were asked about in the process - obviously had to provide passport for ID purposed - but I assume as we both had bank accounts and incomes, it wasn't questioned. (Sounds crazy!)

Hi all,

My husband is Australian and I am English- we are looking into returning to the UK and we would really like to buy a house within a year of returning. My question is though as my husband won't have permanent residency - is it possible to get a joint mortgage?

If you've been away for some time then you might have to build up a bit of a credit history to improve your application.

It's probably best for you to go through an experienced broker, as mortgage companies first layer of decision making is normally automated but a broker should be able to get them to look at your case based on circumstances; ie incomes, deposits etc. through a person rather than a computer!

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks all, seems like not having permanent residency doesn't affect things too much very surprising but its great ??

That is good news. How long do you have to wait until you can apply

I got my mortgage approved through HSBC within a week of returning to the UK after 29 years in Australia and having no credit history in the UK!! I went in to the branch to change my address and they organised an appointment straight away. I was born in the UK, but left when I was 21 to go to Australia. I opened a bank account in Australia and the UK before I left Australia. I sold my house in Australia, so had a reasonable deposit which helped. I am so happy that I was able to buy a place straight away as it would have been such a hassle to have moved into a rental and then to move again six months later. I moved back to the UK in April 2015.