SkippyEK05

Hi new to this forum so apologies if I post on wrong threads or ask questions already asked as still finding my way round.

Have family in South Australia who have lived there for 10 years and have permanent residency and citizenship. Parents are also now in South Australia on bridging aged parent visa. Unfortunately I can't apply as last remaining relative due to this although hoping once I can understand some of the paperwork can try get assessed and on register as a newly qualified nurse to try at the chance of eventually getting out to Australia.

Attending an immigration event in February in Glasgow to hopefully speak to someone a bit more helpful and knowledgeable as been getting various to no decent advise so far due to my age. Also wondered if it would be worthwhile doing a bit more to try and boost my points in meantime.

Any help or advice appreciated.

You mention your age? If you really want solid migration advice I'd consult a reputable migration agent and find out where you stand and your options. I'd not really rely on a migration event as being able to give you answers. Seek out a good agent and find out if you could qualify for a visa.

You mention your age? If you really want solid migration advice I'd consult a reputable migration agent and find out where you stand and your options. I'd not really rely on a migration event as being able to give you answers. Seek out a good agent and find out if you could qualify for a visa.

I'm 46. I spoke to migration agent that my family used before although all the advice they could give me was to complete paperwork and follow links to see if I can get assessed and registered with the Australian nursing and midwifery board. The advice they gave me was if I got on register to go out on a tourist visa to speak to some companies and see if I can get employer sponsorship. I have contacted an agency in Sydney who said they deal specifically with nursing and medical staff but had no reply back. I'm not relying on the migration event on its own as I have gone to a few years ago with family members and know what to expect but feel that it would still be good idea to go and look at any updates or advice.

Edited by SkippyEK05

I'm 46. I spoke to migration agent that my family used before although all the advice they could give me was to complete paperwork and follow links to see if I can get assessed and registered with the Australian nursing and midwifery board. The advice they gave me was if I got on register to go out on a tourist visa to speak to some companies and see if I can get employer sponsorship. I have contacted an agency in Sydney who said they deal specifically with nursing and medical staff but had no reply back. I'm not relying on the migration event on its own as I have gone to a few years ago with family members and know what to expect but feel that it would still be good idea to go and look at any updates or advice.

ALthough you have a bit of an idea I really think speaking to a reputable agent, as Snifter suggests, would do you good.You don't have a very clear idea of the process and at 46 you really cannot afford to waste any time, its now or never. No offence meant, but in the world of skills migration 46 is getting to the end of the opportunity window.

For instance, yes there is an English test, IELTS or equivalent - you will need that for your skills assessement with ANMAC, never mind for points. And there is absolutely no point going through the hassle of registering with AHPRA nowadays until you are sure you can pass the skills assessment and get a visa.

If an employer will sponsor you (unlikely with no experience, though not impossible) you don't need to be in Oz as a torist it can all be organised over the phone and the internet.

ALthough you have a bit of an idea I really think speaking to a reputable agent, as Snifter suggests, would do you good.You don't have a very clear idea of the process and at 46 you really cannot afford to waste any time, its now or never. No offence meant, but in the world of skills migration 46 is getting to the end of the opportunity window.

For instance, yes there is an English test, IELTS or equivalent - you will need that for your skills assessement with ANMAC, never mind for points. And there is absolutely no point going through the hassle of registering with AHPRA nowadays until you are sure you can pass the skills assessment and get a visa.

If an employer will sponsor you (unlikely with no experience, though not impossible) you don't need to be in Oz as a torist it can all be organised over the phone and the internet.

Hi thanks for the useful advice, the issue is trying to find an agent who will help as the one I got in touch with that my family have used were only giving me the basic info and pretty much leaving me to it which is why I'm trying to get an agent who would be more helpful with dealing with nurses. Also have since been given various advice to get assessed and try get on register in meantime so will try and get more info which is why I'm looking at all sources at the moment as I know of one nurse friend who went over at the age of 52 although with years of experience.

You will need to pay for an agent. None are going to keep giving you free advice. Yes you'll get the initial consultation and advice but after that if you really want them to help you and get you through the visa process, you are going to have to pay for their services.

Being newly qualified, I'd be concerned you won't have the experience for the Aus job market. I'd suggest checking out the nurses thread on the forum to see what experience other nurses have before applying or if it affects things. Also that thread may have pointers to other recruitment options. I'd not confine yourself to one agency and would really get cracking with applying to as many as possible to give yourself options. The age aspect will see the visa door close at a certain point employment and PR wise so you really should be putting all your effort into it sooner rather than later. People of 52 don't generally get PR and a visa past the age cut off point for PR would most likely be a temp one where you would have to leave at the end of it (unless something happened like you got married to an Australian during that time and applied for a partner visa).

Hi thanks for the useful advice, the issue is trying to find an agent who will help as the one I got in touch with that my family have used were only giving me the basic info and pretty much leaving me to it which is why I'm trying to get an agent who would be more helpful with dealing with nurses. Also have since been given various advice to get assessed and try get on register in meantime so will try and get more info which is why I'm looking at all sources at the moment as I know of one nurse friend who went over at the age of 52 although with years of experience.
j

Beware of pitfalls like registering too soon. Thats why you really need a good agent. There are loads that post on here and most are highly recommended. If you register with AHPRA before doing anything else then you only have 3months in which to get yourself to Australia and present in person at the AHPRA office. That is completely separate from getting the skills assessment (assuming you are going for PR) and the visa.

I do know of nurses who have managed to get sponsored in their 40s, and some who have scraped through to get PR at the last minute before they get too old for skilled migration, but they have all had years of experience behind them. Its going to be an uphill struggle without any experience and you will need to sell yourself very well. Plus you really need to try and go for PR asap, you will not be able to get that after you turn 50. I can't see any way that your friend could have got a PR skills visa as a nurse at the age of 52.

You will need to pay for an agent. None are going to keep giving you free advice. Yes you'll get the initial consultation and advice but after that if you really want them to help you and get you through the visa process, you are going to have to pay for their services.

Being newly qualified, I'd be concerned you won't have the experience for the Aus job market. I'd suggest checking out the nurses thread on the forum to see what experience other nurses have before applying or if it affects things. Also that thread may have pointers to other recruitment options. I'd not confine yourself to one agency and would really get cracking with applying to as many as possible to give yourself options. The age aspect will see the visa door close at a certain point employment and PR wise so you really should be putting all your effort into it sooner rather than later. People of 52 don't generally get PR and a visa past the age cut off point for PR would most likely be a temp one where you would have to leave at the end of it (unless something happened like you got married to an Australian during that time and applied for a partner visa).

Thanks for all the helpful info appreciate it and will check out check out the other thread for nurses.