Student visa while waiting on parental contributory visa

partnership

Is it possible to go to Australia on a student visa and then apply for the parental contributory visa? The problem with the parent visa is that you can't stay in Australia while it is process without having periods off shore and being unable to work. Will the new proposals due in July help this?

Is it possible to go to Australia on a student visa and then apply for the parental contributory visa? The problem with the parent visa is that you can't stay in Australia while it is process without having periods off shore and being unable to work. Will the new proposals due in July help this?

What new proposals in July?Didn't now anything had been proposed yet,thats months away!!

Maggiemay I was not aware that there is an age cap on student visas. If I was going down this route it would be to study something I really wanted to do so it would be genuine for that purpose.

Nemesis I refer to the changes being planned - they are currently undertaking a consultation process and this should come out in July. they are trying to make it a bit easier for families.

Maggiemay I was not aware that there is an age cap on student visas. If I was going down this route it would be to study something I really wanted to do so it would be genuine for that purpose.

Nemesis I refer to the changes being planned - they are currently undertaking a consultation process and this should come out in July. they are trying to make it a bit easier for families.

Easier for families.........good luck with that one(having had to leave Australia permanently in order to live with my own husband). It gets harder for spouses by the month.

Would be interested to know what spin they are pedalling for this year.

(apologies, just rather a bitter subject)

My question is whether there is any rule that says you can't apply for another visa whilst on a student visa. I am sure that people on student visas may meet australians and apply for the partner visa? My intention would be to use the time to study and spend time with family. At the end it of the course then I would leave unless I had another valid visa to stay.

There isn't an age cap. But there is a requirement to be considered a Genuine Temporary Entrant so they would likely look for you to be studying something that would logically further your career and on the assumption that you're going home again when your studies are completed. I assume as someone who is eligible for a parent visa, you aren't young so they may question if this is the case since you aren't supposed to simply be coming with the intention to apply for a permanent visa (which would obviously indicate you won't be a temporary entrant).

Exactly what maggiemay24 said. There isn't normally a no further stay condition put on a student visa. But getting that visa at your age could be hard as they might not consider you genuine.

The reason I mentioned the restricted work and fees was because one of your reasons for wanting to go on a student visa was because you said the problem with the visa you had been considering was that you had to leave the country and could not work.

I was pointing out that financially you won't be any better on a student visa. Both my husband and I were doing our full allowed hours on my course (which is hard to find a willing employer on a student visa with restricted hours). We live in Adelaide which is one of the cheaper places for most things and we were still financially far worse off after the course finished.

Depending on the tourist visa, you could come on that and then apply for your visa. You still couldn't work, but you also wouldn't have to pay student fees, compulsory health insurance or do homework lol.