Partner Visa

EK1313

Hi,

Myself and my partner have made the decision to emigrate to Australia. I am an Australian citizen and will be sponsoring my partner. We have been together 6 years and have an 8 month old who I will be claiming citizenship by descent for. My question is, I have been living in the U.K. for 6 years as I have dual citizenship - is this okay? Am I still able to sponsor even though I don't live in Australia? My parents live in Australia and will be able to vouch that they are able to support my partner financially if required. Feeling a bit overwhelmed by how comprehensive the application looks!

Yes you can sponsor him and yes you can hold dual citizenship. I doubt your parents will be needed to show they can support him. The financial requirement doesn't quite work like that :)

Yes you can sponsor him and yes you can hold dual citizenship. I doubt your parents will be needed to show they can support him. The financial requirement doesn't quite work like that :)

Perfect thank you for your swift response - do you know how it does work? As I understand I have to conform I will be able to support him financially and provide accommodation both of which I won't have until I arrive in the county which will be when (if) the partner Visa is granted if you see what I mean...

Have a look on the partner visa thread to get a better idea of what people did re the financial requirement part.

For us, my husband provided a couple of years worth of his salary slips to show he was the main earner and provided for our family. He also wrote about his plan for when we moved to Aus and said that to begin with we would stay with family so that aspect of able to provide accommodation was covered.

Anyone applying off shore for a partner visa is in the same boat as you are re the financial requirement. As I said, get a better idea of what is wanted by reading what others have done. It varies person to person but its probably as full on in depth as you are imagining it to be.

Thank you. My partner is actually the main income earner in our household so not sure if that affects things... also we are planning to get married before we move so that family can be present however I am now paranoid this will look dodgy to the au government in light of the visa application. Paranoid I know!!!