Australian life insurance

Martinbjulieb

I have checked with our life insurance company and our policies will still be valid when we move to the UK so long as the premiums are paid from an Australian bank account. Just thought this information might be useful to people looking to move. We will eventually change our policies to UK ones but it is good to know that we don't have to do that straight away.

It is worth looking into anyway.

I am with Zurich and Royal London (I have 2 policies) and I enquired about keeping both open in the UK while I live in Australia and they confirmed it would be OK so looks like it works both ways (if anyone was interested).

Likewise with us with Direct Line / Legal & General. It's good to know (most?) countries will allow both ways.

Most UK companies are fine with it as long as you pay from a UK bank account but some firms do have questions in their apps about whether you intend to live abroad in the next 12 months.

So if you are thinking of getting some set up in the UK, prior to a move, i'd recommend setting it up before you apply for visas etc. (Plus it's a good point to raise on the Partner visa about combining your financial affairs, if you have joint life assurance.)

We did the same moving from UK to Aus and have kept it going and no plans to cancel. We'd not get such a good deal here so decided to keep it going. As above, we had taken out the policy before we applied for the visa or planned to move.