What's going on with the pound this week?

Fisher1

Anybody got a clue as to why the pound has dropped from 1.7 to 1.6$ to the pound during the last week? I was about to send some money across when it started sliding so I waited and waited ... I know it's dodgy anyway since the will of the people was announced, but it seemed to have settled at around 1.7 ... Frustrating!

I assume it's ahead of Teresa May's Brexit speech :

"The government is prepared to abandon the single market, customs union and the European Court of Justice in order to achieve a clean break with the EU, Theresa May is expected to say this week."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-updates-theresa-may-article-50-speech-unity-end-division-global-britain-a7527896.html

I assume it's ahead of Teresa May's Brexit speech :

"The government is prepared to abandon the single market, customs union and the European Court of Justice in order to achieve a clean break with the EU, Theresa May is expected to say this week."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-updates-theresa-may-article-50-speech-unity-end-division-global-britain-a7527896.html

question is, have we hit the bottom yet? I think we will hit parity with the USD before long.

but what if the value of the pound drops off a cliff after you have exchanged?

I'll only be transferring a small amount compared to what I am bringing to Australia. I have faith that it will recover and can wait it out. The rate is approaching the best it's ever been according to google finance. That's a buying opportunity which I think is worth risking.

I'll only be transferring a small amount compared to what I am bringing to Australia. I have faith that it will recover and can wait it out. The rate is approaching the best it's ever been according to google finance. That's a buying opportunity which I think is worth risking.
Good luck.

I saw an economist writing the other week regarding the Pound and Brexit, his opinion was it would bottom out when article 50 is triggered, but really, who knows, a lot of volatility for a couple of years yet I guess!!
I plan to move back into pounds by April. Only question is shares, bonds, cash or commodities? I'm a bit unsure ATM.