Prospective Marriage to Partner visa (subclass 300/309)... please help!

My Prospective Marriage visa was approved on 27th September 2016. The terms of the grant stated that I needed to enter Australia by 13th January 2017, so I am currently in Australia visiting my fiancé until Friday (I got here on 10th January.) I am returning in April as our wedding is in May.

The grant also dictates that my visa expires on 27th June 2017. It is my understanding that between my wedding date and this date, I must apply for a bridging visa in order to remain lawfully in Australia whilst awaiting a decision on the Partner visa. This gives me a window of about a month and a half in which to obtain a marriage certificate, change my name and reissue all of my identification documents (e.g. passport, driving licence) back in the UK, then apply for both the bridging visa and the second phase of my PMV / Partner visa.

My questions are:

• What bridging visa should I apply for - I am guessing bridging visa A?
  • If I apply before 27th June 2017 for the bridging visa, does my PMV count as a substantive visa?
  • Will I have the right to work in Australia whilst on the bridging visa?
  • How long will it take to receive the temporary Partner visa after submitting the application? Am I to understand the waiting period is not as long as it would be if I had not already been granted a PMV?
  • What would the time frame be for my Partner visa to become permanent?

Thank you in advance for your time and help. Sorry if these are stupid questions, this is all so confusing!

Thanks for your help! I hope that is the case, it would make matters considerably easier.

I sent a message to the High Commission in London and got this response:

If you lodge the Partner visa (subclass 309) application onshore, you might

wish to apply for a bridging visa at the same time in order to stay

lawfully in Australia.

That's what threw me... then again, the person who responded also got my first entry date wrong, so...

Thanks for your help! I hope that is the case, it would make matters considerably easier.

I sent a message to the High Commission in London and got this response:

That's what threw me... then again, the person who responded also got my first entry date wrong, so...

The 309 is an off shore application and as such there is no bridging visa associated with it.

The 309/100 is the offshore version. The 820/801 is the onshore version with access to a bridging visa.

You should probably consider obtaining some professional advice from a Registered Migration Agent to assess your specific situation and advise on an appropriate visa pathway for you.

Relying on advice from Immigration and public forums can be risky, as it is not always accurate or specific to your situation.

Okay, I've looked at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website and it would appear the person at the High Commission gave me the wrong advice.

As a holder of a subclass 300 visa, I may apply for the subclass 820 / 801 visa (also meaning I don't have to pay the full price of another Partner visa.) So I can apply for this onshore and obtain a bridging visa if necessary.