Partner Visa questions

Luke007

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum.

I have an Australian partner. We lived the last two years together in the UK.

This should qualify us for an partner visa.

If we would start the whole process now, how long would it take until the visa is granted?

I read that the processing times are longer than a year. Whats the reason for this?

I also think about working with a migration agent. What would be a reasonable price to hire a migration agent for a partner visa application.

Thank you very much

Luke

I understand that the current guidlines are 10-14 months but in reality they have been faster than this especially if the application is straightforward.

The visa is a 309/100. The 100 is permanent, 309 is temporary but confers work rights etc in Australia. You then apply for a 100 later from Oz. Given you have been together only 2 years and you make no mention of children then you may receive the 309 (the application is identical).

We didn't use an agent so cannot advise on that. If the application is straightforward then most may not employ an agent.

• Like 2

Agree with what was said above. Its one of the most straightforward visas to apply for and although the off shore processing time is listed at 10-14 months many are getting grants around the 6 month mark iirc. Although its not a given to expect that, they do seem to have speeded up the processing time again in recent months.

An agent won't compile all your evidence and so on, you'll still need to sift through and sort out all the stuff to submit. That for me was the most time consuming part, pulling it all together, getting certified copies done, stat decs from others, writing our own supporting statements (paper application as online wasn't an option a few years ago) and all that. The actual form filling was straightforward and we both gave ourselves time to read over the forms, understand them and what we needed to write in reply. We ensured we double checked all our dates if we gave them and that they did match up and one of us hadn't put the wrong date in for a holiday or some such.

If you feel more comfortable using an agent and can afford one, then do so. The partner visa is an expensive visa to apply for and because its pretty straightforward many do do it themselves. Some opt to use an agent though. If there are serious medical issues or a criminal record of some kind then I would say seek out a good agent for sure.

Have a read of the last few pages of our partner visa thread. Lots of people applying on there who did it themselves. And gives you an idea of what they went through.

Hi can only give you my experience; we arrived on my 457 visa but switched to the 820/801 partner visa when I was made redundant.

It took me about a month to get all the paperwork together, three weeks of which was waiting for police checks from the UK and AFP (Australian Federal Police). Fortunately you can part-submit so I submitted most of it after a week and then the rest once the police checks came back.

Once I'd completed submission I was awarded an 801 visa in 10 working days. (Normally you get an 820 visa and you can then get this upgraded to an 801 visa if you're still together after 2 years).

Possible variances:

- we had already been in Australia for 18 months (not sure that would actually make much difference)

- we applied while in Australia (ditto)

- we'd been married for 5 years at the time of application

My take on it was that while it can take 10-14 months for people applying from non-English speaking countries (thus requiring everything to have notarised translations, interviews and possibly translators) if you're British, South African or American you can go through a lot quicker - after all if you're a case officer in Brisbane and it's a hot Friday afternoon and you have to get your case completion numbers up, would you pick up the application written in English or the one's written in Hindi/Serbo-Croat/Swahili?

• Like 2

Well you must have been very lucky, ABL275. I was on a 457 and applied 7 months before expiry (they were quoting 4-6 months to process) with a decision ready application. At that stage I had been married to my Australian husband for 17 years and we have three kids together. I submitted a cover letter advising that the application was decision ready. As I am a lawyer, I was pretty confident that my application was in order...

After 7 months I ended up on a bridging visa A as my 457 ran out. I chased DIAC to see why it took so long but they were useless. At the 11 month mark I contacted my local MP, advising of the delays and pointing out that, as I was supporting 4 Australian citizens on my salary, it might be nice if they gave me PR.... I was contacted almost immediately by my MP's office who said they would fix things. I got notification of PR visa grant within 3 days.

The reason partner visas take so long is that Australian Immigration Policy is not interested in family reunion. It only cares about taking foreigners who have skills that are lacking in Australia. It is all about what you, the visa applicant, can do for Australia. The reason I entered Australia on a 457 visa was because my employer was desperate for a lawyer with energy and resources law skills. My 457 was granted in about a month whereas I would have lost the job if I had waited for a partner visa based on my marriage to an Australian....

Edited by Loopylu
  • Like 3

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum.

I have an Australian partner. We lived the last two years together in the UK.

This should qualify us for an partner visa.

If we would start the whole process now, how long would it take until the visa is granted?

I read that the processing times are longer than a year. Whats the reason for this?

I also think about working with a migration agent. What would be a reasonable price to hire a migration agent for a partner visa application.

Thank you very much

Luke

If you are applying in Australia the processing time will be over 12 months. If applying off shore, it will be quicker, but the exact processing time will vary depending on which overseas post is processing the application.

The reason it takes so long is that they are applying a lot of scrutiny to partner applications due to the high level of fraud.

Prices for an Agent will vary depending on many factors such as the difficulty of your case, the Agent's experience and how much work will be done.

Its one of the most straightforward visas to apply for.

Although this may have been true in the past, it is no longer the case. Partner visas now have one of the highest refusal rates and are the most represented type of visa appealed at the AAT except for refugee applications.

Hi can only give you my experience; we arrived on my 457 visa but switched to the 820/801 partner visa when I was made redundant.

It took me about a month to get all the paperwork together, three weeks of which was waiting for police checks from the UK and AFP (Australian Federal Police).

You were either very lucky or are referring to an application lodged some time ago. Many years ago Partner applications were processed on the day, but this is no longer the case.

• Like 2

I guess I was lucky!

I went through the process three years ago so it may have changed but I seem to remember several other POI'ers having similar experiences to mine at that time.

That makes sense. Three years ago, processing standards for Partner Visas were completely different than what they are today.

These days, onshore applications are taking 12 months plus. Offshore applications are taking 6 months plus, depending on the processing office.

• Like 1

That makes sense. Three years ago, processing standards for Partner Visas were completely different than what they are today.

These days, onshore applications are taking 12 months plus. Offshore applications are taking 6 months plus, depending on the processing office.

Offshore applications have actually sped up since we applied in 2013. We were told 9 months and it took 8 months; and I understand from the forum posts at the time that it was much the same for most partner visas. Mind you the cost of these visas has risen astronomically in that time too so the bloody well should be faster.

Edited by Gbye grey sky
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
Agree with what was said above. Its one of the most straightforward visas to apply for and although the off shore processing time is listed at 10-14 months many are getting grants around the 6 month mark iirc. Although its not a given to expect that, they do seem to have speeded up the processing time again in recent months.

An agent won't compile all your evidence and so on, you'll still need to sift through and sort out all the stuff to submit. That for me was the most time consuming part, pulling it all together, getting certified copies done, stat decs from others, writing our own supporting statements (paper application as online wasn't an option a few years ago) and all that. The actual form filling was straightforward and we both gave ourselves time to read over the forms, understand them and what we needed to write in reply. We ensured we double checked all our dates if we gave them and that they did match up and one of us hadn't put the wrong date in for a holiday or some such.

If you feel more comfortable using an agent and can afford one, then do so. The partner visa is an expensive visa to apply for and because its pretty straightforward many do do it themselves. Some opt to use an agent though. If there are serious medical issues or a criminal record of some kind then I would say seek out a good agent for sure.

Have a read of the last few pages of our partner visa thread. Lots of people applying on there who did it themselves. And gives you an idea of what they went through.

The "shorter actual processing times" really is an encouraging piece of info! I am really hopeful now that my same sex partners' provisional de-facto partner visa (309) will be approved sooner than later! My Partner is Syrian, living in UAE with me, will that affect the processing time in any way? As mentioned earlier, we have submitted a complete application (including the PCC and Medicals) in Dec 2016. An Aussie consulate officer here (mostly the case officer) called on 7 Feb 2017 to verify certain info and called again 2 days later for further chat.
Any info on our situation will be of great help and encouragement!

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, samwise said:

The "shorter actual processing times" really is an encouraging piece of info! I am really hopeful now that my same sex partners' provisional de-facto partner visa (309) will be approved sooner than later! My Partner is Syrian, living in UAE with me, will that affect the processing time in any way? As mentioned earlier, we have submitted a complete application (including the PCC and Medicals) in Dec 2016. An Aussie consulate officer here (mostly the case officer) called on 7 Feb 2017 to verify certain info and called again 2 days later for further chat.
Any info on our situation will be of great help and encouragement!

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Re processing times. I was writing about times out of the UK. I don't know for elsewhere, you should check the high commission website for the country you are applying from (if there is one). Also if the countries are considered high risk applications may well be slower processing. 

• 5 months later...

Hello 

I`m Australian Citizen , and I have in a distance relationship with my partner over a year, and we got married just recently, she is overseas now, and I`m in Melbourne.

I want to apply for a visa for her to come over here, but I do not know what type of visa I have to apply for? or which is better to do, apply within Australia, or offshore? 

Can anyone please share some info ...

Thank you

• 1 month later...
On 27/10/2017 at 07:31, شكوبيستان السفلى said:

Hello 

I`m Australian Citizen , and I have in a distance relationship with my partner over a year, and we got married just recently, she is overseas now, and I`m in Melbourne.

I want to apply for a visa for her to come over here, but I do not know what type of visa I have to apply for? or which is better to do, apply within Australia, or offshore? 

Can anyone please share some info ...

Thank you

Hi Mr Shkubistan

I reckon you should contact an immigration agent because you will find this situation challenging. If you got married in Australia that will make things a bit easier.

Having looked into both types of visas myself I found that there were some few small advantages to applying for the offshore visa (301/100) but the cost is the same

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/309-

All the best to you!

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2017 at 07:43, elle99 said:

Hi Mr Shkubistan

I reckon you should contact an immigration agent because you will find this situation challenging. If you got married in Australia that will make things a bit easier.

Having looked into both types of visas myself I found that there were some few small advantages to applying for the offshore visa (301/100) but the cost is the same

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/309-

All the best to you!

Thank you elle99