Watching UK/US TV

LadyBlaze

We use express VPN. Costs US$99 per year. Cheaper ones are available but this one gives you the choice to access servers all over the world and several in the UK, useful when the BBC closes some down!

Having a good broadband connection is useful too with unlimited usage. Now we are on NBN we get a much better stream......................although that could also be because son has moved out!!

A little bit more expensive but well worth it if you're technically inclined and know what this is, but I subscribe to usenetserver.com. As the domain implies, it's a usenet server and I get it for I think US$96 a year. This includes dozens of VPN sites around the globe. But if you use the usenet, it will make much of your VPN use irrelevant anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello. I came on here looking for ways of accessing BBC Iplayer etc, I know I need a VPN but I do not really know what one is. If I sign up for one of the deals above, is it straight forward to use? I am not really into watching TV, but i do like the Iplayer whilst on my cycle turbo.

Does anyone also know a way of watching BBC Eurosport? I am really missing the British Super Bikes.

Thanks

Bryan

Guest The Pom Queen

In regards to HD Subs we have had a member report that they are Reselling stolen Sky TV and it is illegal, personally I've no idea but as usual I would ask that members be vigilant and check for themselves 

Guest The Pom Queen
On 29/07/2017 at 20:43, Collie said:

I don't know either PomQueen.

In the interests of transparency, was the member flip tv who are an advertiser here and basically in competition?

Btw - I have no afflication with either. 

No it wasn't @Collie you seem to like jumping the gun don't you. 

However, now you come to mention it FlipTV are a legal service who are licensed and also an Australian Registered Company whereas HD Subs as been flagged as being illegal by a member, they have no business information or company number and the domain name registered information is hidden and set up using a proxy.

On 7/29/2017 at 17:25, Walmerironman said:

Hello. I came on here looking for ways of accessing BBC Iplayer etc, I know I need a VPN but I do not really know what one is. If I sign up for one of the deals above, is it straight forward to use? I am not really into watching TV, but i do like the Iplayer whilst on my cycle turbo.

Does anyone also know a way of watching BBC Eurosport? I am really missing the British Super Bikes.

Thanks

Bryan

I know there is a Eurosport app on my Amazon fire tv.  http://www.eurosport.com/application-amazon-fire.shtml havent used it though.

The Amazon fire TV stick used with a smart DNS service (better than a client VPN in my opinion) gives all the UK free to air catch up, with a remote for 40 pounds.  Get someone from the UK to send one over.  I use mine with a service called getflix which sorts out all my devices with access to iplayer etc. Think its about $4 a month for the smart DNS. You will need a UK amazon account to set the device up (easy to sort). Setting up smart DNS is as easy as paying for it and changing DNS in your router. The main advantage of smart DNS over VPN is speed, most VPNs will significantly reduce your download speed.

Instructions: http://www.eyeondemand.com/2015/11/27/how-to-access-amazon-fire-tv-for-uk-streaming-television-from-anywhere-in-the-world/

The above refers to the bigger fire tv device, however the small stick works just fine and the instructions remain the same.

• 1 month later...

If you are a techie you can set up your own free VPN service....

AWS (Amazon Web Services) allows you to set up your own VPN server in London. You can then connect to it from Oz and services like iPlayer will think you are in the UK.

iPlayer is able to block some VPN services because they count the number of connection from the same IP address. Using your own VPN server means that they will only see 1 or 2 connections from your VPN server IP address and therefore be less likely to block you.

Doing this is quite involved so you would need to be able to us things like SSH to set this up. Detailed instruction here:

https://docs.openvpn.net/how-to-tutorialsguides/virtual-platforms/amazon-ec2-appliance-ami-quick-start-guide/

Then you install the OpenVPN client on your devices to access your personal VPN server.

If you use a t2.micro instance then your server will be free for 1 year of registering with AWS and stay within the free tier limits.

If you are really clever you can set up a wifi router to broadcast a wifi network that is using your VPN, this allows things like a Firestick to think its in the UK.

Its all quite complex to set up unless you are familiar with AWS things like SSH, but costs nothing except for your time.

• 3 months later...