Does anyone know Worcester?

MHJ

Hello,

We are making the move back to the UK soon & will be based in Worcester. We do not know the area well & would appreciate it if anyone could advise on nice areas to live in / around Worcester (or areas to avoid!).

Thanks in advance.

Used to live in Worcester. Lovely part of the UK. We moved to the lypards area of the city which is far enough to avoid the floods but good proximity to the motorways, country parks and the city centre. Like most places there are one or two places to avoid but depends what you are used to. The council areas in Worcester are nothing compared to some in Manchester

Hello,

We are making the move back to the UK soon & will be based in Worcester. We do not know the area well & would appreciate it if anyone could advise on nice areas to live in / around Worcester (or areas to avoid!).

Thanks in advance.

Iam there at least twice a week ....what would you like to know ? ....

Worcester inner town / city living isn't the best ....i like Droitwich ...and some of the areas heading out to Malvern or Hereford .

Lovely town centre ...walk only most of it ...steeped in history ( burial site of king john ) ...beautiful cathedral .

I like Worcestershire ...one of my favourite spots in the whole country ...good choice

Worcester inner town / city living isn't the best ....i like Droitwich ...and some of the areas heading out to Malvern or Hereford .

Lovely town centre ...walk only most of it ...steeped in history ( burial site of king john ) ...beautiful cathedral .

I like Worcestershire ...one of my favourite spots in the whole country ...good choice

You also have Worcester warriors rugby union side ( good day out )....the races ....and of course one of the most picturesque cricket grounds on the planet ....some lovely parts of Worcester a mile or 2 out

I can think of worse places to live

Used to live in Worcester. Lovely part of the UK. We moved to the lypards area of the city which is far enough to avoid the floods but good proximity to the motorways, country parks and the city centre. Like most places there are one or two places to avoid but depends what you are used to. The council areas in Worcester are nothing compared to some in Manchester

As you said some of the older inner areas are old terraced houses prone to flooding .

But other than that ,if I get a job in Worcestershire ..i rub my hands together.

Rural ...the bloody scenery ...beautiful

Before relocating to Qld, I lived in Kidderminster which is about 11 miles away from Worcester for nearly 40 years. Worcester is a small city and very pleasant to live in. My preference is for the northside of Worcester and good areas are Claines (a village that is now a suburb), Northwick (mainly large Victorian/interwar) and Wardon Villages (built around 20 years ago). On the northside you should avoid Warndon itself (mainly a very rough council estate) and probably Purdiswell.

If you are looking for a more country setting, then you could try along the A449 towards Kidderminster (Hartlebury, Ombersley, Hadley and smaller villages in that area) or out towards Martley.

Do you want to live in Worcester itself (including the suburbs) or are you happy to live in an outlying area?

Worcester and suburbs:

The St Peters area of Worcester (reasonably new estate) is very nice, as is the St Johns area - older, mainly terraced houses, but very charming.

As mentioned above, Warndon is very, very rough, but most of Warndon Village is fine.

One thing to be wary of ...Worcester floods badly, so before buying anything, ring the council's engineering department and ask if the street you are buying in is above the flood line.

Outlying Areas near Worcester:

Kempsey has some nice houses, but it stands in the shadow of the motorway, so is not the best choice.

Avoid Powick, as this area is quite rough.

Further afield:

If you are prepared to move further out from Worcester, some of the towns/villages are lovely.

Evesham (approx 30 mins drive) is beautiful, as is Pershore (a lot of Georgian architecture), but again, both of these towns are subject to flooding.

Wyre Piddle to the south of Worcester is also another lovely little village, but very, very quiet, particularly since the opening of the bypass. However, avoid Pinvin.

The Lenches (east of Worcester near Evesham) are an absolute delight. BUT...very very expensive.

Again, if you don't mind living further away from Worcester, the Malverns (to the South west) is a really lovely part of the world. Only real issue is the weekend traffic due to all the tourists.

Note: I lived in Worcestershire for nearly 15 years. However I have been back in Australia for 3 years, and as everything changes so rapidly these days, these views might now be seriously outdated.

All in all though, you are moving to an outstanding part of the UK, one which it is difficult not to fall in love with.

Before relocating to Qld, I lived in Kidderminster which is about 11 miles away from Worcester for nearly 40 years. Worcester is a small city and very pleasant to live in. My preference is for the northside of Worcester and good areas are Claines (a village that is now a suburb), Northwick (mainly large Victorian/interwar) and Wardon Villages (built around 20 years ago). On the northside you should avoid Warndon itself (mainly a very rough council estate) and probably Purdiswell.

If you are looking for a more country setting, then you could try along the A449 towards Kidderminster (Hartlebury, Ombersley, Hadley and smaller villages in that area) or out towards Martley.

Agree with that ...martley ...holt fleet .even out to tenbury ...i have been in WR4 today ....traffic around the inner area is bloody busy ....go semi rural ...some lovely spots

Do you want to live in Worcester itself (including the suburbs) or are you happy to live in an outlying area?

Worcester and suburbs:

The St Peters area of Worcester (reasonably new estate) is very nice, as is the St Johns area - older, mainly terraced houses, but very charming.

As mentioned above, Warndon is very, very rough, but most of Warndon Village is fine.

One thing to be wary of ...Worcester floods badly, so before buying anything, ring the council's engineering department and ask if the street you are buying in is above the flood line.

Outlying Areas near Worcester:

Kempsey has some nice houses, but it stands in the shadow of the motorway, so is not the best choice.

Avoid Powick, as this area is quite rough.

Further afield:

If you are prepared to move further out from Worcester, some of the towns/villages are lovely.

Evesham (approx 30 mins drive) is beautiful, as is Pershore (a lot of Georgian architecture), but again, both of these towns are subject to flooding.

Wyre Piddle to the south of Worcester is also another lovely little village, but very, very quiet, particularly since the opening of the bypass. However, avoid Pinvin.

The Lenches (east of Worcester near Evesham) are an absolute delight. BUT...very very expensive.

Again, if you don't mind living further away from Worcester, the Malverns (to the South west) is a really lovely part of the world. Only real issue is the weekend traffic due to all the tourists.

Note: I lived in Worcestershire for nearly 15 years. However I have been back in Australia for 3 years, and as everything changes so rapidly these days, these views might now be seriously outdated.

All in all though, you are moving to an outstanding part of the UK, one which it is difficult not to fall in love with.

Great post ....around all these places, at least once a week ...iam a lucky boy

Great post ....around all these places, at least once a week ...iam a lucky boy

You are a really, really lucky boy! And yes, I am very envious. The history! The architecture! The gardens! The churches! The outstanding rural scenery! And of course, the charming olde-worlde pubs!

If ever I return to the UK - not in my plans, but one never knows - then that is the area I will be heading back to. I love it!

You are a really, really lucky boy! And yes, I am very envious. The history! The architecture! The gardens! The churches! The outstanding rural scenery! And of course, the charming olde-worlde pubs!

If ever I return to the UK - not in my plans, but one never knows - then that is the area I will be heading back to. I love it!

Its historical links to the English civil war ...isnt cromwells armoury in Worcester ?....the cathedral ...the shopping....pubs and food at good .

To top it all ,the area of Solihull I have moved to ,has a train line to Worcester foregate st .

I will be there in the summer ,at t" the quays " on the river Severn .

Lovely part of the world .

I do all the rural parts of worcs,Hereford ,warks ,and Shropshire as well as well as all the shite .

I was born and raised in Worcester - moved away when I was 18 and have never looked back! It's a small city, with lots of lovely history but looking pretty tatty these days. Surrounded by nice countryside though, with plenty of pleasant villages to choose from. Be aware that the river Severn floods pretty much every year, so be cautious about living near the river.

If I had to move back to that part of the UK I'd probably look in and around Malvern, and rent in an area for a year to get to know it before buying (if I was in a position to buy).

Edited by richev

• 3 weeks later...

I like Worcestershire ...one of my favourite spots in the whole country ...good choice ?

I am work based around here and agree its the areas heading out to Malvern and Hereford that are nice.

It depends on your budget.

Trip advisor is also good for finding out about places.

Zoopla is a good site as when you look at property it gives you information on area such as type of families living there, single, children etc, also levels of crime, schools etc

I love Malvern for its breathtaking views of the hills, its very beautiful, but good and bad areas their too.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Worcester is a very nice place. We go there as much as we can when back over in the UK as we base our self near Kidderminster, close to family. It suffers from flooding and we have been told that there are a few rough estates (sorry not sure which ones) but on the whole it is a fantastic place. Our two eldest kids were both born in the Royal hospital there and we had no issues at all. The Victorian Christmas Fayre is a fantastic event to go to and really helps you get into the Christmas mood. Best going there when it is getting dark and the lights come on with a nice mince pie and a glass of hot mulled wine. Big shopping centres such as Merry Hill are good, but there is something magical about shopping in Worcester during the winter months. Going from shop to shop being wrapped up nice and warm and the hope of seeing some snow. There are some really nice areas surrounding Worcester and on the way to Kidderminster. However, if you do end up going to Worcester we are sure that you will be happy you made the move.

Before moving to Sydney we were based in Kidderminster and loved it there. We go back every year and you can see the changes that are taking place, but it still feels like home and the place we want to be, long term. We have family and friends there and the pull is still very strong.

Would love to live in Worcester, but the really nice houses are starting to cost a packet these days. It is true what you say that surrounding areas are very nice and well worth considering. Worcester has the benefit of having the train line for easy commuting to Birmingham and further a field.

A very nice area of the UK to call home.

Before moving to Sydney we were based in Kidderminster and loved it there. We go back every year and you can see the changes that are taking place, but it still feels like home and the place we want to be, long term. We have family and friends there and the pull is still very strong.

Would love to live in Worcester, but the really nice houses are starting to cost a packet these days. It is true what you say that surrounding areas are very nice and well worth considering. Worcester has the benefit of having the train line for easy commuting to Birmingham and further a field.

A very nice area of the UK to call home.

I agree it was a friendly place to live. I grew up there and didn't move away when I found work in Brum as housing so much cheaper there. I have only been back once in 8 years to the UK and called in on Kiddy. It does seem to be improving...

Can't say I agree with your experience of the Worcester hospital for giving birth or anything else and at the moment the Trust has been put into special measures in relation to maternity and paediatrics.... It was much better in the good old days when Kiddy had its own fully functioning hospital.

Worcester is a very nice place. We go there as much as we can when back over in the UK as we base our self near Kidderminster, close to family. It suffers from flooding and we have been told that there are a few rough estates (sorry not sure which ones) but on the whole it is a fantastic place. Our two eldest kids were both born in the Royal hospital there and we had no issues at all. The Victorian Christmas Fayre is a fantastic event to go to and really helps you get into the Christmas mood. Best going there when it is getting dark and the lights come on with a nice mince pie and a glass of hot mulled wine. Big shopping centres such as Merry Hill are good, but there is something magical about shopping in Worcester during the winter months. Going from shop to shop being wrapped up nice and warm and the hope of seeing some snow. There are some really nice areas surrounding Worcester and on the way to Kidderminster. However, if you do end up going to Worcester we are sure that you will be happy you made the move.

Touchwood in Solihull ain't bad Phil for shopping ...solihull nice afternoon out

I love my trips down to the Worcestershire area ...very regular .

No one bothers me so I can set the sat nav to avoid really busy areas ....bridgnorth is another one for you Phil next time you are over ...nice place .

Love the whole area ...droitwich ...ombersley ...tenbury ...bewdley ...severn valley railway .

I do work in the rough areas of kiddy as well ...not so good

Touchwood in Solihull ain't bad Phil for shopping ...solihull nice afternoon out ?

I love my trips down to the Worcestershire area ...very regular .

No one bothers me so I can set the sat nav to avoid really busy areas ....bridgnorth is another one for you Phil next time you are over ...nice place .

Love the whole area ...droitwich ...ombersley ...tenbury ...bewdley ...severn valley railway .

I do work in the rough areas of kiddy as well ...not so good

Not been to Touchwood for ages, from memory though must agree it is a very nice place. We go to Birmingham now and then to visit family, but mainly stay around the rural areas. Last Christmas (sounds like the start of a Wham song lol) we got the train to Birmingham and got off at New Street Station. Gosh we did not recognise it. We used to pass through the station every day while at college (6 years), but got lost in the new big place.

Oh yes love Bridgnorth and its old world charm. We usually park down by the Seven Valley Railway and then walk up the steps alongside the park to join the bottom end of the high street. For that last two years we have been there to see a ‘clock lady’ in the antiques centre by Sainsbury’s. Last year she was off sick when we went and this year she was on a call out. Lol get the feeling that fate does not want us to buy any clocks.

Totally agree and we really love the area too. It seems with us, time away has made us appreciate how much of a lovely place it is to call home. Another place we have very fond memories of is a nice little pub called the harbour inn in Arley, just on the seven valley line and by the river. It is great in the colder months with the big log fire and also on a summers evening by the river.

Not been to Touchwood for ages, from memory though must agree it is a very nice place. We go to Birmingham now and then to visit family, but mainly stay around the rural areas. Last Christmas (sounds like the start of a Wham song lol) we got the train to Birmingham and got off at New Street Station. Gosh we did not recognise it. We used to pass through the station every day while at college (6 years), but got lost in the new big place.

Oh yes love Bridgnorth and its old world charm. We usually park down by the Seven Valley Railway and then walk up the steps alongside the park to join the bottom end of the high street. For that last two years we have been there to see a ‘clock lady’ in the antiques centre by Sainsbury’s. Last year she was off sick when we went and this year she was on a call out. Lol get the feeling that fate does not want us to buy any clocks.

Totally agree and we really love the area too. It seems with us, time away has made us appreciate how much of a lovely place it is to call home. Another place we have very fond memories of is a nice little pub called the harbour inn in Arley, just on the seven valley line and by the river. It is great in the colder months with the big log fire and also on a summers evening by the river.

Yes ,ben in the harbour inn ....loads and loads of lovely little spots around stourport ,Kidderminster,Worcester area .

Little villages with the old corner shop,church and the pub .

If you know brum well ....i go Wythall ...frankley ...belbroughton ( another nice village ) onto Wolverton ...cutting out kiddy ,when iam on my way to bewdley or bridgnorth .

Some lovely spots .

P.s

Yes ,ben in the harbour inn ....loads and loads of lovely little spots around stourport ,Kidderminster,Worcester area .

Little villages with the old corner shop,church and the pub .

If you know brum well ....i go Wythall ...frankley ...belbroughton ( another nice village ) onto Wolverton ...cutting out kiddy ,when iam on my way to bewdley or bridgnorth .

Some lovely spots .

P.s brum city centre is unrecognisable from the 70s when I spent time there .

Talking to a bloke in his 60s from Solihull ,who has actually moved back into brum city centre ,because it has so much going on