Questions about renting in Perth.

Alycat

Hi all

I know that it's a renters market in Perth right now but I'm curious about how easy it actually is to secure a rental?

What sort of time frame is it from application to approval?

We don't have any rental references so I'm wondering if it will be harder for us?

Also there are a few in the $350 price mark we are looking at, would it be far fetched to see if we can negotiate $300 a week if we paid 6months rent in advance?

as a landlord I wouldn't lower my rate for getting 6 months' worth in advance; I can potentially get a lower mortgage rate if i pay a years' worth off in advance, but that involves me having to actually go to the bank and negotiate, which frankly i can't be bothered doing, and if I'm on fixed rate i can't do anyway. The rates are generally set by the agent who have a very good idea of what the market rates are. if I stick with what they advise, I'm sure I will get that rate (from experience).

You might have luck if the landlord has over-valued their property and has had it vacant for some time. As having a lump sum doesn't actually advantage me and actually screws up my accounting somewhat, it's not something I would consider accepting.

If you want to haggle then haggle. If somethings been empty for a month or so it makes sense for the owner to accept a lower offer. If it's on for $350 you may not get your $300 thru but end up in the middle so it's worth trying.

Thanks for your replies everyone. Gives me something to consider.

There are definitely cheap places in Perth the more further out it is. I'm seeing $280 4x2 ducted air con NOR in clarkson/ merriwa and Quinn's. Some places are even dropping to $260. Some places I have seen have been listed for at least 2 months up that way!

Cheapest I've seen is $205 in banksia grove 3x1 almost new build. It's also been on the market at least a couple months.

Edited by Alycat

Thanks for your replies everyone. Gives me something to consider.

There are definitely cheap places in Perth the more further out it is. I'm seeing $280 4x2 ducted air con NOR in clarkson/ merriwa and Quinn's. Some places are even dropping to $260. Some places I have seen have been listed for at least 2 months up that way!

Cheapest I've seen is $205 in banksia grove 3x1 almost new build. It's also been on the market at least a couple months.

Rent is definately cheaper but if they are going THAT cheap there must be a reason!! Maybe check what its next door to, or the photos will be years old and its probably a dump!

True.. it's hard to say looking at the listings. They look ok in the photos. But there are a few in that price range and every week I'll see a variety of listings dropping prices. Guess I'll have to see when I get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Supply and demand. People are leaving WA in droves. The Kiwis, Irish, Poms ... First time I was looking for a house there would be 12 or more people at every viewing. Now there are one or two and often none at all and the viewing is cancelled. High quality properties in the Secret Harbour/Rockingham/Baldivis areas have seen significant rent reductions by as much as 100 bucks a week in some cases. Properties are taking longer to rent at significantly lower rents.

From my own experience the only landlords that are likely to accept chunks of rent in advance are those doing it privately. I'm told that if it is being done all above board through an agency it seems to be more trouble than it is worth.

There are apartments and units at around 200 bucks. There are 3x1 units as low as 260. But be warned that they are often utter dumps in lousy areas that you may not want to live in.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth based on my recent experience (the last month). Was primarily looking Scarborough, Doubleview, Wembley, Mount Hawthorn, Leederville, North Perth areas. Looked for a 2-3 bed house/villa with a garden suitable for a child (hard to find a nice garden). Didn't look at units/apartments.

Plenty of stock on the market. Most stuff late $300's to mid $500s. A real mixed bag in terms of quality. Some stuff I looked at in Dec is still on the market at a reduced price and isn't shifting (great location but ? on quality of the house)

Missed out on a beautiful family home in Wembley with a lovely garden, asking $530, about 20 people at the viewing and there were at least 7 applications. Went for more than $530.

Found my place in Mount Hawthorn on Gumtree and rent privately with the landlord. Nice 3 bed character house with a super well kept garden. House in good condition, Kitchen a bit dated but ok. Landlord put aircon in the living room for me, ceiling fans in 2 of the bedrooms. Landlord does the gardening and will pay 50% of the water bill during summer (for the garden). 5 min walk to Mount Hawthorn village, playground on my street. I'm happy enough.

Based on my viewings (quite a lot) $400-$450 pw should get you a nice 2/3 bed house/villa in these areas. You could possibly haggle for a bit cheaper ($10-$20 pw) or ask for something to be added (aircon, dishwasher etc)

Hope this helps people.

Edited by Collie

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, chloe_zara said:

Collie that helps me I'm looking at the same areas you mentioned how are you finding the area you are currently in?

Sent from my iPad using PomsinOz

Hi Chloe,

Still early days but I'm really liking Mount Hawthorn.  Reasonably quiet on my street but only 30 seconds to Scarborough beach road for cafes & shops, restaurants etc.  The mezz has a woolies and nearly everything else you need day to day.  Innaloo a short drive away for bigger shops.  10-15 mins to the beach and a good regular bus service to the city (never waited >6 minutes) and 10 mins to the city (but I haven't done it rush hour yet).  Braithwaith park has become the playground of choice, super decent sized park with lots of stuff for kids small & bigger.  Leederville close by for nightlife.

Happy to answer any specific questions you may have

Col

• Like 1