Nurse prescribing in Oz

Lisababy

Hi everyone,

I am after some advice regarding the potential to prescribe in Australia as I was a nurse prescriber in the UK before the move over here. My current manager doesn't seem to know and suggested pointing me in the direction of nurse practitioners (UK equivalent to a prescriber) but I spoke with one today who also had no idea. I have started as a Clinical Nurse Consultant and keen to keep hold of this qualification as I did really enjoy this part of my job in the NHS.

Is there anyone who would know anything about this or be able to offer some advice.

Tom

(and thanks in anticipation) :wink:

I think you'll find Aus is light years behind UK in terms of nurse prescribing. The legislation is there but not will nor the career structure. Some drugs are listed on PBS as eligible for nurse practitioner prescribing but actual numbers are very low. If you want to prescribe it would probably be quicker to re-train as a GP (or pharmacist).

Hi everyone,

I am after some advice regarding the potential to prescribe in Australia as I was a nurse prescriber in the UK before the move over here. My current manager doesn't seem to know and suggested pointing me in the direction of nurse practitioners (UK equivalent to a prescriber) but I spoke with one today who also had no idea. I have started as a Clinical Nurse Consultant and keen to keep hold of this qualification as I did really enjoy this part of my job in the NHS.

Is there anyone who would know anything about this or be able to offer some advice.

Tom

(and thanks in anticipation) :wink:

Pretty certain @HappyHeart was this but I don't think she comes on here anymore.

In Queensland (mental health) we have quite a few nurse practitioners who have to do the do nurse practicioners masters course over 18months to 3yrs with a doctor as your mentor/guide and work place has to agree to support you, need 5yrs mental health experience too but you would only prescribe if you then got a role as nurse practioner and everywhere I have worked they have there own clinics and that is there only role and do diagnosing and prescribing. where I work they may be looking at our mental health triage nurses in ED being able to prescribe but they would need to be ok with doing the masters course through university. Look at your local university's and see what they offer.

Did prescribing nurses only come about because our Dr's were so overrun? Trying to keep patients from taking up Dr's precious time? Don't get me wrong I think they provide a valuable service in a stretched system. Maybe Aus doesn't have as much a problem hence lack of take up of nurse prescribers?

Money is usually the driver for these decisions, but I think it's more to do with the way health services are set up in Aus - there are far more private Drs who are pretty protective over their practice. There are still lots who don't even have nurses in their clinics, whereas in the UK there is much more of a team approach, certainly in the more 'modern' areas. They do exist in Aus, but again, in the more forward thinking, (and mainly) public services.