Lodging EOI for electrician

reubs2016

Hi guys. I'm at the very begining here so any advice is welcome.

I have a wife and 4 kids, I'm 36 (37 this year)

I score 55 based on this so il be sitting ielts exam on 11th feb (next avail date madness) I got a 6.5 in reading so didn't get enough to get the extra points to take me to 60 points to qualify for visa.

I'm preparing this time but last time I just went in with the attitude that I'm fluent il pass which ofcourse came back to bite me in the ass.

I'm also in the process of gathering info to get my skills assessed. Hoping to post it off in the next week as I know this can take 3/4 months to come back.

If I pass the ielts test can I put in a EOI before my skills assessment comes back or do I need to wait for it to come back. As this will bring us to may/June which just seems so far away to put in an EOI and then have to wait for an invite to apply.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I would only be paying surely once I get an invite to apply for a visa, no?

I am not using an agent as their fees are astronomical.

Just Googled there and a few websites are saying you have to have your skills assessment completed before lodging an EOI? Was just wondering if anybody on here has been thru it.

Guest Woolich85

It takes time, but you need to do things right. I did my English exam last February. It then took 6 months from start to finish to get my skills assessed. I got a positive result mid December. Lodged an EOI on 22nd December and got an invitation on 4th Jan. My advice is to make sure you know the whole process inside and out if you're going it alone. I'm doing the same so feel your pain.

If you need to know anything, feel free to drop me a message :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Guest Woolich85

Oh, and just a tip... Have you looked at PTE rather than IELTS? It's all down to personal preference, but I would definitely recommend the PTE.

I've already paid and committed to the ielts in feb, however if I don't get 7 or 8 in all catagories this time il have a look at PTE.

Cheers for the heads up.

It's a minefield really isn't it. We will wait it out sure. We're not planning on going til march/April 18 anyway but still anxious to get the ball rolling

Guest Woolich85

Yeah, it's pretty confusing. I've spent hours trawling through forums, there are some great topics that can help you understand how/what and why. I wish you all the best!!

Took me 6 months from getting evidence to getting a positive electrical skills assessment. an expression of interest is supposed to be a decision ready application or there abouts. Not having a skills assessment just means there is no point in putting in an EOI

Guest Woolich85

It's too long to list, but they want a lot of information. References, wage slips, bank statements, taxation records, photos/videos of work, CV, copy of qualifications etc. They only requested extra information once, and this was sent same day so no reply delay or issues. I went two months without hearing from them mid application. Prepare for a long wait!!

That's a balls really isn't it. I had read online 60 working days??

I have everything except videos/photos of work. Wasn't going to include that. However I might just go take some pics in work today. Cover my ass.

Will TRA communicate via email if they need anything else? It says online to submit in paper format. Sure that alone takes weeks to get oz

Guest Woolich85

Are you applying in Australia or UK? Don't hold me to this, but I'm pretty sure you need to apply through Vetassess and not TRA?

I went through this.. long story short, I had to go through TRA because I applied with my Canadian passport, however you DO NOT use TRA. You need to get an OSAP. Anyone with the following passports must get an OSAP for electrician:

China, Fiji, Hong Kong SAR, India, Ireland, Macau SAR, Philippines, South Africa, United Kingdom, Vietnam

Guest Woolich85

As above. You need to used a TRA approved RTO, which is Future Skills, Vetassess and another. I forget the name. I used Vetassess for mine, it still has TRA on the certificate though as well as Vetassess. I would suggest if you're going it alone you really know the whole process inside and out, as a mistake could cost you a small fortune!

Guest Woolich85

I think you can do pathway two if you have a Australian occupational license and have worked in your trade for three years or more.

Yes I'm qualified 10years. u could easily shoot yourself in the foot with all this!!!!

Nothing is straight forward.

Il apply on vetassess, pathway 2. At least it can all be done online, TRA were saying paper form ONLY! Doing if from Ireland would of slowed things down a whole lot.

Cheers for your input lads.

Watch this space

i done mine in brisbane with future skills, have a look at them. try the "down under centre" i had a very good experience with them for my electrical skills assessment. you can only sit a practical once your documentation and certs has been verified and they say you can pay us $$ and go on to the theory and practical session. i also had a phone interview with an assessor asking me about testing and fault finding prior to siting the practical

Guest Woolich85

On the Vetassess website, it says that for pathway two you do not need to do a practical. Just a technical interview. I did pathway one, and after I'd passed stage one which is the document/evidence stage, then they let you book stage two with is the practical.