UK Passport Renewal - Does this effect my 457?

WinchWench

Hi there Poms

My British passport is due for renewal May this month. I am travelling to the UK next week and planning to book one of the appointments where they process and return your passport within a day.

I am currently in Oz on a 457. Has anyone any previous experience of doing this please, and forgive the daft question, but how will this effect my 457 when I re enter Australia?

Thanks in advance!

You can update your passport details online using your immigration account.

You should do that as soon as you have the new details and certainly before attempting to re-enter Australia. As long as you have done that, you should have no problems clearing immigration upon your return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Suzukiescottie

Thanks for your swift response! I already have my 457 and linked to my current passport. On your advice I started an immigration account but there is nowhere to log my current passport details and don't need to lodge a further application. I applied

Its form 929 afaik

https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/929.pdf

https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/online-forms-immiaccount-update-details

However, you've left it very late if you travel next week. You can get a UK passport done from Aus in about 3-4 weeks and it costs the same as it does in the UK (same charge anywhere now as they all have to be done in the UK so the price is the same). Its very straightforward and you probably would have been better to do this in advance and have time to link the new one to your visa than trying to do it after when possibly short of time and the system perhaps being a bit slow.

I don't know if you are able to update online or not on a 457 or what options there are to do it that way. Most people I've read seem to use the form 929 if they plan ahead and know its coming.

I did similar a few years ago.

I live in Australia on a 457. I got a new passport and it took so long to arrive I got it 2 days before I went back to the uk.

I called immigration and asked them to transfer the visa to my new passport, but they said it would take too long and to take both passports to the airport, and I'd be pulled over at passport control, but they would do the transfer there.

Sure enough, I did this, got pulled aside and after I explained they happily did the transfer and let me through.